cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speeds and Packet Loss

keeop
On our wavelength

Well, didn't think my newly taken up 200Mb service would stay at 200Mb for long! 

Have had the 100Mb for several years but upgraded to 200Mb to help spread the load of the house a bit more and get some better upload speeds to boot. Had it for a couple of weeks now and has generally been up to scratch. Obviously there was the major outage recently which was a pain but now I've noticed the good old VM combination of slow speeds and increased packet loss. 

To be fair, packet loss is not as bad as I have seen it in the past but it's happening. Download speeds have settled in around 40Mb. Upload seems largely unaffected. Pings aren't great but then are they ever on this network?

So, can one of you please advise if there's an issue in my area (status says not) and also hop on to my modem to check all the levels etc. (if that sort of thing is still relevant?). 

This is affecting my work, the kids' home schooling and everything else, as you can imagine, so would like a resolution as soon as possible. Plus, as has happened to me many times in the past, I am yet again not getting the service that I am paying a lot of money for and that's not on.

I have done the usual of powering the modem off and on etc. 

Cheers.

Keeop

28 REPLIES 28

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You haven't said... which Hub model do you have?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

keeop
On our wavelength

It's a Superhub 3 - running in modem mode.

All tests carried out on a wired machine. NICs, switches, firewall etc. all on GIG speeds. 

Speed has been fine until the last couple of days - had been hovering around 180-190. Today it is hovering around 20Mb - 10% of the advertised speed and 10% of what I was getting a few days ago. So, to me, it seems something has happened VM end. I've been with them long enough to be used to this sort of rubbish.Although for the last 3 years at my current address and on 100Mb I never really had any issues that. There were a couple of times where the speeds/pings deteriorated but a reboot of the modem cleared them. Hasn't worked this time. I'm wondering if it's a hangover from the major outage as it's all gone downhill since that.

Upload is still bang on 20 by the way.

Cheers.

Keeop 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You could try a factory reset – a lot of the VM techies on here are suggesting it as a first option.

Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible or you will be stuffed ! If its not – DON’T DO IT !

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3 can be a bit problematic - so do it EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).
With the Hub "on" disconnect any ethernet connections and push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that. Leave it 5' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings one to access the Hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

keeop
On our wavelength

No difference - currently averaging 20Mb. It did get back to over 100Mb for around half an hour this afternoon. All points to VM back end, as per.

Wired direct to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

keeop
On our wavelength

Yep.

20Mb again this morning.

keeop
On our wavelength

10Mb this evening - quality.

What I have noticed is that the pings/trace have behaved like the modem has been rebooted several times - I haven't made it to the garage to see if that's what has happened or not. So, I don't know if that's VM doing something or the modem just randomly rebooting, being as I haven't heard from a VM employee as yet. Again, I haven't noticed this behaviour in the couple of weeks of first having this up and running and being as I'm working from home and RDPing to remote machines, I would have noticed if the connection had died. So, seems something's started going on since that major outage. Would be nice to actually heart from someone at VM?!

Cheers.

Keeop

keeop
On our wavelength

2Mb now................oh..................good old VM. Glad I'm paying so much money for such a quality service!

keeop
On our wavelength

Really buggy now - keeps dropping out completely and when it is up, speed is atrocious. Come on VM, what's going on?