Menu
Willows59
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Slow Speed

Hi, i seem to be having issues with my internet speed. i am new to Virgin and have signed up to 300 meg broadband. i am connected via powerline which is connected to my router and then via a Ethernet to my PC upstairs. with BT i had no speed drop using it this way but i am only getting 20 meg with Virgin. Am i doing anything wrong with my connections or should i contact Virgin 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Speed

Hi Willows59,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear you're not getting the speeds you'd expect, and I can appreciate you're keen to get this sorted.

Do you notice if the speed changes at different times of the day / night? Do you get the same results if you test via speedtest.net? What type of cable are you using?

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Speed

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests or connections over powerline adapters, you need to do it this way first.
Make sure your device has a gigabit network card and has the up to date drivers. Use a new Cat5e/6a ethernet cable to connect it to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Then, boot up your device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds) and run the test at speedtest.net on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, etc).
If that's ok then the issue is the way you are connecting to the Hub. If it isn't - that's a VM issue.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos