cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speed

AJC19
Joining in

Hi all,

We should have 350mb, which speed tests show we are routinely getting. However, despite these high numbers, we seem to be having constant issues. For example, randomly internet pages will not load. A speedtest will show speeds of around 10mb randomly. When playing games, I will randomly freeze (logging into WoW yesterday, my home latency clocked at 5736 ms.... 5736!). When playing Dead By Daylight, I disconnect continuously to the point I cannot play a game. 

Downloading a game update on Steam, my internet drops to around 10mb and it gets to the point, that everything takes around 10 seconds to load.  I stop the download, and it jumps straight back to 300mb+. Everyone in the flat needs to close everything whilst stuff downloads. It is 100% worse around 17:00-21:00, but obviously Virgin say they don't throttle, so could be coincidental. 

At the moment, it just feels like issue after issue. Somewhat starting to regret making the switch from Sky to Virgin.

10 REPLIES 10

carl_pearce
Community elder

@AJC19 wrote:

Hi all,

We should have 350mb, which speed tests show we are routinely getting. However, despite these high numbers, we seem to be having constant issues. For example, randomly internet pages will not load. A speedtest will show speeds of around 10mb randomly. When playing games, I will randomly freeze (logging into WoW yesterday, my home latency clocked at 5736 ms.... 5736!). When playing Dead By Daylight, I disconnect continuously to the point I cannot play a game. 

Downloading a game update on Steam, my internet drops to around 10mb and it gets to the point, that everything takes around 10 seconds to load.  I stop the download, and it jumps straight back to 300mb+. Everyone in the flat needs to close everything whilst stuff downloads. It is 100% worse around 17:00-21:00, but obviously Virgin say they don't throttle, so could be coincidental. 

At the moment, it just feels like issue after issue. Somewhat starting to regret making the switch from Sky to Virgin.

They don't throttle, however you could be in an oversubscribed area.

Create a BQM here and post the live link.

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Morning @AJC19, I can see that you've started another thread on this subject, and you were advised on an area outage, that was due to end yesterday at 12:30pm

Sadly this has been pushed back to 14:00 today and do we do hope this is resolved as soon as possible for you

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi David,

If you'd have checked when the message was posted in comparison to when the above issue started, you'd have noticed they were unrelated.

Virgin subsequently sent out a pod, which has helped improve signal throughout my flat, but hasn't actually solved this issue.

For example, tonight, things like Twitter won't load properly. The speed was so weak to the point I couldn't open WhatsApp web. Speed test say around 180mb,  but this doesn't seem to be the case - previously ISP I had no issues (and this is also the case with my mobile - I've literally had to disconnected it from the Wifi to be able to use it.)

My smart lights don't always respond to Siri requests anymore.

When downloading a steam update, Speedtest shows my speed dropped to 0.08mb. 0.08... < that's not a typo. How can I be paying for 350 mb but the moment I download something, the internet slows down to slower than dial up speeds? 

When trying to work, I constantly disconnect from Google Docs and Slides. 

Surely this can't be the norm?!

Did you create a BQM?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/ae2771bf1a49a3ffdfe16dac9e09bcf4a1...

Worth noting that my partner is currently working from home. He reports no issues at all during the day, but by the time I get home at around 5pm, it is difficult to do anything without significant difficulty and frustration. For example, my partner was watching Netflix at around 11pm. At this time, I couldn't load any YouTube video. This is why I initially thought it may have been throttling. 

Hi AJC19, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one and for clarifying things further. 

Checking the BQM, all is looking relatively good over the past 24 hours barring a few spikes which is normal. 

I can see the fault that was previously affecting you has also been resolved now. 

If you are still having an issue, please pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath, 

The situation improved, but has now gotten even worse. It's literally taken me over 10 minutes to be able to navigate to this page. Speed tests show less than 1mb (300 kbps?!?!). The majority of the time, the internet is so poor that the response from Speedtest is "Could not reach our servers to perform the test. You may not be connected to the internet".........

Just not good enough. Attempt #4 at posting this... hoping the internet holds up this time...

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us @AJC19 

I have further run diagnostics from here & everything is where its expected to be, could you advise if you have a live BQM? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Problem still on going. 

Today the internet is so bad I couldn't even complete the only "check for a fault" because the signal is so weak, it couldn't even detect the hub.... Speed test show 0.59bmps download and literally the speed was so slow, it registered a 0 for Mbps upload. 

I also cannot believe how incompetent the phone service is?!?!?!? "Press 1 for broadband issues". I press 1 "Ok, we don't detect a fault. Turn it on and off and it should be fixed. Take care *hangs up*". Is this actually for real?!? Genuinely the most frustrating automated service ever?!?!  I JUST WANT TO TALK TO SOMEONE?! but literally, the second you put broadband problems, it says "restart your router and problems sorted. Bye". Crazy.