Menu
andywmiles
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow Internet speed on one computer only

I have just had Virgin Media installed and I love it except for the internet speed on one computer which is noticeable slower. I have two computers side by side and one is giving a download speed of 192Mbps and the other is giving a download speed of 14.3Mbps. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Internet speed on one computer only

How are you connecting them wifi or ethernet cable? If wired - just swap the cables and see what happens. Does the "slow" one have a gigabit network card or wireless connector - is it an older model ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
andywmiles
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I am connecting them both via wifi. Im not sure if it is a gigabit network card or wireless connector but it is about 5 years old

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

There is clearly a hardware or software issue on the old PC that is limiting the network speed. To see if its hardware related, connect the old PC byCat5e/6 ethernet cable directly to the Hub and see if the speed increases to max If it doesnt, put the Hub into modem mode and try it again. If it still doesnt get up there, reboot the pc into safe+networking mode and try again. See what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

What is the Wireless Adapter in the slow PC? (or Make\Model of PC)

Sounds very much like it is connecting to the 2.4GHz band

0 Kudos