cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Gigabit service in NP18

croma
On our wavelength

Hi ,

Since upgrading last week from M600, which gave me a reliable 660mb download, I upgraded to Gigabit service  and a Hub4 and now I can only get 200+mb on a good day.

Can someone from VM assist me  please , thanks

13 REPLIES 13

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try this...

Look in the Hub settings and navigate to the Configuration Data page. What numbers are in the Max Data Transfer Rate boxes for Downstream and Upstream data. These ar in bps - not Mbps. If the upgrade went through the will start 1xxxxxxxxx... if it didnt they will begin with 6xxxxxx..

If its gone through - first do a pinhole reset as per... First make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords will reset to those on the sticker. See if that sorts it

If not... are the speed issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

And to test on ethernet - can you do it this way.....

As you expect ~1GB then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”

(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).

This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @croma,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the speed issues.

I can see you have been given advice above, can you please let us know how it goes when trying this?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

croma
On our wavelength

Hi , nothing has changed , after spending few hours calling the tech support on several occasion on Wednesday I was advised that my upgrade still pending and would have been completed today and the person I spoke she would ensure I would get the correct speed and she would call me this morning to make sure I was happy . 

Well no one has called me and the upgrade hasn't going trough as I still get about 230mb to 300mb .

One thing I know for sure I have made a mistake to upgrade from M600 but the sales people told me I can't go back to M600 unless I take the full package that I don't want no more. 

Regards

Sav. 

croma
On our wavelength

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @croma,

I checked our system, the upgrade should be completed soon.

Once this is done your speeds should return back to normal, please can you let me know how this goes?

If you wish to cancel the upgrade you have the right to do so also. We do not normally deal with package related issues from this platform. But let me know how it goes, then I will see what we can do moving forward.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

croma
On our wavelength

croma_0-1650991449758.png

Hi Hayley,

This is what I get using RealSpeed - SamKnows  as per request from the VM tech support

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Speed to the hub wins again guess VM can blame users devices even if wired to the hub.

Spoiler

But really VM let use in on how your doing the download test to the hub😉

---------------------------------------------------------------

croma
On our wavelength

Thanks for that but as I previously stated all worked fine download and upload on the M600 package.

The poor download started since the upgrade to the gigabit service ...

Will give VM an other call and if they can't fix then I want my money back and close the account after been with them for 22 years... well I started with NTLWorld..