Menu
twright
Joining in
Message 1 of 68
Flag for a moderator

Slow Evening Speeds, BR6 Area

Hi,

I've been a Virgin broadband customer for a few years now, and have recently had my service reconnected in a new property in the BR6 Orpington area.

I pay for the 70mbps package, and can usually achieve this during the day. However in the evenings it drops to less than 10mbps, every evening. I have a Superhub 2 AC, and the speed is being tested on a PC connected directly to it via cable, though wireless speeds on different devices are equivalent.

I have contacted Virgin about this before, and was told that it should improve by (last) August as they were upgrading the infrastructure in my area. However this hasn't been the case and the issue has persisted.

ThinkBroadband shows that the utilisation of my local cabinet is very high:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/1aef3fd5dca5e026ee17ea16485820dc.html

Is there anything that can be done about this?

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos
BigManA
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 68
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Evening Speeds, BR6 Area

Unfortunately, you are describing the symptoms one would see if they are in an over subscribed area i.e. too many customers connected to the cabinet and each one has to battle for resources but there are too many on board.

Truth is, VM will quote endless 'review dates' and it will take a long time to fix no matter what they tell you. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 68
Flag for a moderator

Hi twright,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you're experiencing speed issues.

I've located your account and I can see an issue with the network in your area affecting speeds at peak times - Ref.(F004400545). Our technicians are working to get this resolved and have set a review date of 28th June.

I'm really sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

All the best

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
von_helmet
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 68
Flag for a moderator

Josh_RW

Simple question, hopefully a simple (positive) answer!

When will the rubbish broadband service in Orpington be resolved?

15 months it has been like this so far. Not great huh.

Thanks

von_helmet

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 68
Flag for a moderator

Hi von_helmet,

Josh isn't in today so I hope you don't mind me replying on his behalf Smiley Happy

Fault ref: F003500529 is the one assigned to the issue on your part of the network and that is currently showing a review date for 04/10/2017.

If the pre-upgrade work has completed on that date then an EFT for the network upgrade should be provided. I am truly sorry for the time this is taking but do please ask for an update on here on or near to the 4th October and we'll check up for you.

Kind wishes,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
twright
Joining in
Message 6 of 68
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

Any idea what happened on the 28th June review date Josh mentioned?

This is getting a bit tiresome now, my speeds in the evening have been getting worse and the last time I called Virgin I was told to call back on a different number and then the agent cut me off - the number he gave me turned out to be the same line, it just put me to the back of the queue. Had I not been so exhausted I'd have hung on and complained big time but I have up. This really isn't good enough. The price has gone up every year and the service has got worse.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 68
Flag for a moderator

Afternoon twright,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Looking into this when the engineers assessed the fault, there was still an issue with bandwidth so they will continue with additional work. With high peak time traffic faults, as this have review dates rather than fix dates, they can be subject to change. The work that is involved can include : - implementation of additional upstream and/or downstream channels, hardware upgrades at the CMTS, re-siting of street cabinets, digging up of roads/paths etc. which require planning permission.

I can understand how frustrating this can be and apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Kind regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
von_helmet
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 68
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for coming back to me. But this has been ongoing since March 2016!!! Not good enough is it!?

Is this priority? If this was Richard Branston's postcode would the same situation apply?

0 Kudos
twright
Joining in
Message 9 of 68
Flag for a moderator

.Re: Slow Evening Speeds, BR6 Area

Hi, Well I've been without broadband completely now since Monday 24th. It went down mid-morning and hasn't yet come back up.

Apparently there was a fault in the area but I have received a text yesterday saying it has been fixed and is now up and running. It isn't. Your telephone support team also say it's fixed and have arranged for an engineer to come out Monday (which I now have to rearrange my work schedule for) to "check my connections". Apart from 'turning it off and on again' my router and/or connections to it haven't been touched since it was working, so I fail to see what this is going to achieve other than wasting my time, again.

I'm really, really hacked off with this. To be without internet access for now coming up a week is not acceptable in this day and age, especially in my line of work. And I have to say your telephone support team must be some of the most condescending and unhelpful people I have ever dealt with - once you do eventually get past the worst, and I mean the absolute worst, automated phone answering system in the industry. No, I don't want to hang up and wait 10 minutes to reboot my equipment, I just want to speak to someone.

0 Kudos
von_helmet
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 68
Flag for a moderator

Re: .Re: Slow Evening Speeds, BR6 Area

Can I suggest going to the newspaper? Perhaps the local one (newsshopper) or national? Perhaps this will get our internet back 2017!!! I've had hardly any service after 5pm since March 2016!!!
0 Kudos