cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Ethernet Speed

Ramjam666
Joining in

Good morning.

According to SamKnows I am only getting 473 Mbps to my pc. To my Hub 4 I am getting 1146 Mbps.

I am using a Cat 6 cable and according to my pc it says I should be able to receive the following:

Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 1000/1000 (Mbps)
Primary DNS suffix: cable.virginm.net
Manufacturer: Realtek
Description: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Any ideas as to why I am receiving such a low speed?

Grateful for any help.

4 REPLIES 4

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Guess thats the best you can do or try a download from steam to a SSD and see if thats faster
---------------------------------------------------------------

On a good day with hub4, cat6a cable and 2.5Gb/s port on pc I can get around 900Mb/s. Have you tried updating your network interface drivers ?. You could also try other speed test sites as they often give wildly differing results at the same time !....

https://www.broadbandspeedtest.org.uk/

https://www.speedtest.net/

Note some test sites are limited by your WiFi version and signal strength if testing via a mobile phone  yet on ethernet by pc it should be fine. Ensure all unnecessary apps are closed on your pc as some can use your connection too.

Tip  ... "I am only getting 473 Mbps to my pc" = "My PC is only drawing 473 Mb/s"

Software on the PC often cripples the performance - especially over weight security packages & software firewalls

Boot the PC into Safe mode + networking and re-run the Samknows Realspeed test. 

The odds on seeing an improvement are good & might point to what products to ditch.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Ramjam666, 

Thanks for taking the time to post about your issues in the Community.

We're sorry to hear you're having issues with the speed to your PC. I can see the community have already given some great tips for you to try but I just wanted to pop by to let you know we've run some checks this end. 

All power and signal levels are all within the optimal range and the correct speed is being delivered to the Hub. There is also no area faults affecting you. 

As well as trying the suggestion of booting the PC in to safe mode for the speed test, can you try on another device to see if you get a different reading? 

Pop back and keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs