cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow DL and UL speeds, Blocks of red on BQM, going on for a week.

thestraycat
On our wavelength

I'm on the Virgin 350MB service and for the last week have been seeing download speed of 80mb/s down and 20mb/s up on my 350MB package.

There's also huge amounts of packet loss on my line that i can see clearly with the BQM monitoring i've had set up since i last had issues a year or so ago.

I've run the Virgin Media service checker which says that everythings good, but then when i click troubleshoot the connection it goes on to say that there are ongoing works in my area??? Lol.

I cant find any reference to these works going on, theres no link in the msg to these works either and they've been going on for over a week.

Powering off the hub, seems to have restored some of the speed temporaily but now the speed is fluctuating and is currently below what it usually is.

Can you advise? Link to todays BQM below. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/632012de4fb6d357e083991293289676a0...

16 REPLIES 16

@thestraycat wrote:

Is two + two four?

> not following you. Yes i was utilizing the line with a lot of bandwidth hence why there was more activity on the line at that time. Seems self explanatory to me. Am i missing something? I've seen this BQM activity a lot as i move a lot of data over my internet connection, it seems normal behaviour for what i've observed for over a year now on my line. The packet loss however isnt normal behaviour and that is more concerning as it's showing multiples more than it normally would and there wouldnt have been any substantial traffic at all going over the line at that time.

was you uploading?

> uploading and downloading simultaneously.

Just pointing out that the high ping and more packet loss at 2am to 4am and 6am was caused by you if you want you can improve by enabling QoS/BQM on your router to not buffer or ping high.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Just pointing out that the high ping and more packet loss at 2am to 4am and 6am was caused by you if you want you can improve by enabling QoS/BQM on your router to not buffer or ping high.

>> Yup i know the activity between those hours is me, thats what i've said in my previous posts. But it can also be amplified by bad service from virgin, which i  believe it is,  as every time i use the service tool it tells me there is still work going on in my area. (2 weeks now, no updates) I also cant speed test at 350mb like i normally could,  i get 270mbs, My upload result is around 15mbs down from 36mbs, I've even tested some usenet and torrents files for traffic going over different ports/protocols, my usenet speed on a Ubuntu_20.04.5.LTS file came down on a consistant 11MB from what has always been 40MB, I also tested with the same 20.04.5.LTS Ubuntu iso but from the official ubuntu site and got 1.3MB on torrent (which i take with a pinch of salt as it's not ment to utilize the line, i've had mulitple higher just a few months back, their sitte uses strong official mirrors). I mean at this point it's pretty obvious there's issues and i'm looking for a solution or an update from Virgin who are purposefully making this as hard as possible to get information on the matter. Any ideas on how to get this resolved?

OK so am i right in thinking that no one knows how to get updates on postcode issues in your area from virgin media? 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @thestraycat,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some ongoing issues with your connection! 

I have checked our systems and I can see that there is an active SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) Outage impacting your local area. The Fault number is F010050163 and the current estimated fix time is showing as 21/09/22 at 3pm.

Our teams are working hard on resolving this ongoing issue. I do apologise about any inconvenience caused. Keep us updated on how you get on and we would recommend rebooting your equipment once the estimated fix date has passed.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@Paulina_Z - Thanks for the update. However how can i check the status of fault F010050163 myself? Do you have a URL i can use to keep tabs on the update of this issue. The issue has been going on for weeks and the date has been pushed back multiple times from when i first spoke to a service rep. This seems to be a moving goal post issue. Please advise with what compensation i'm likely to recieve, and how i can check the status of this fault first hand.

@Paulina_Z - It would be great NOT to be ignored when you dont like the request or question.  It dosn't put virgin media in a good light does it?

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I don't think Paulina would be intentionally ignoring you.

You wouldn't be able to check the reference yourself. All information relating to compensation can be found here: https://virg.in/autocomp

Cheers, 

Ryan.