Menu
Mikeraynor123
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Slow Broadband

After reading the community help subject regarding speed of broadband I cannot seem to find anything to speed up my broadband. I have tried rebooting the hardware multiple times and also looking at the devices I am using. Nothing seems to work. I only use WiFi enabled devices on the home network. When VM BB was installed I did a speed test on an admittadly crude and free download able app. I was getting 148mbs. Very impressed. However 6 months down the line and using the very same app I am only getting at best 17mbs at the same time of the evening. Devices in the house haven't changed. Also the same amount as there was back then. I don't do anything different. Still running the same apps and programs. I don't understand why the speed has dropped to a fraction of what I was getting

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Broadband

If you are using only WiFi your speeds are affected by a number of local factors. If conditions have changed recently if could be a neighbour with a new WiFi setup.

0 Kudos
Mikeraynor123
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The house next to us we know very well and they do not have any broadband or TV package with any provider. Their son uses our connection at the weekends when he is there for his xbox that's all. They are the joining house to us. Not sure about the house the other side but they are not joined and our router is the other side of the house. Also I cannot understand why even with a crude measurement the speed has dropped from 148 to around 17 at best. Surely that cannot be correct? 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Mikeraynor123 wrote:

Their son uses our connection at the weekends when he is there for his xbox that's all.

If he is anything like my son he will be using it to to Torrent download/upload  share  movies/games etc at every available opportunity. And may leave it on whilst he isn't around !  Mine did Smiley Mad

EDIT:  Should have added...

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting,  you need to do this first. 

Make sure your device has a gigabit network card with up to date drivers.  Use a new Cat6a ethernet cable to connect it to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected).  Then boot up your device into "safe mode" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds) and run the test at speedtest.net on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download (e.g. Opera?).

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Mikeraynor123 wrote:

The house next to us we know very well and they do not have any broadband or TV package with any provider. Their son uses our connection at the weekends when he is there for his xbox that's all. They are the joining house to us. Not sure about the house the other side but they are not joined and our router is the other side of the house. Also I cannot understand why even with a crude measurement the speed has dropped from 148 to around 17 at best. Surely that cannot be correct? 

It is not just other wireless networks that can affect your wireless connection. Domestic appliances in range like A\V Streaming Devices, Baby Monitors, older Cordless Phones, Hearing Aids, Microwave Ovens, Plasma TVs, Security Systems etc. etc.

The 5GHz band is usually more resilient to interference than the narrower 2.4GHz band.

As JBrennand has says you need to test the connection with a device directly connected to the Hub to check the actual speeds being received. I wouldn't bother with Safe Mode in the first instance, it would only be useful if you are experiencing slow wired speeds with no obvious circuit impairments.

I hope your neighbour's son is not torrenting copyrighted material as this is illegal and the Feds would come knocking on your door, not next door's, unlikely, but worth checking what your connection is being used for.

0 Kudos
Mikeraynor123
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The kid next door is only playing on the PlayStation with online games. That I know. The set up is such that is the router is in the living room which the opposite side of the house to anything else. Kitchen appliances etc. The TV is a new LED. I don't have a land line phone. Neither do next door who is the other side of the joining wall. No other streaming equipment or security systems etc. As I sit in the living room I am literally 2 metres away from the router. So any interference of any would be a minimum anyway. But any of that does not explain why when it was installed I was getting 148mbs and now I am getting only 17mbs. There has been no difference in set up. Location home equipment is the same.  I also noticed that last night at midnight the WiFi dropped altogether. Lost all connection. Couldn't watch anything on demand or even watch a YouTube video on my phone. 

My main question and issue is why my speed has changed when I haven't started doing anything differently since it was installed. And it is not a small decrease in speed. I am down to roughly a tenth of the speed I was getting 7 months ago. 

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you don't test the connection with a directly connected device to try and narrow the problem down, we may never know why your speeds have dropped.

0 Kudos