Menu
Highlighted
MateuSZ1
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow Broadband

Hello. I have vivid 200 but my speed is not like that. Currently, it is about 30mbps. I think that at this time should be 200mbps.

Screenshot_20190314-033607_Speedtest.jpg

0 Kudos
michaeldavis
Well-informed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Broadband

The speed of your broadband is not like a speedometer in a car. It is a maximum speed in good weather with a good following wind 🙂

You need to deduct about 6% as any speed is made up of upload and down load speed, vivid 200 will reserve 12 Mbps for uploads.

There are no really reliable tests for internet speed, partially because even if you enter web address you never go from A to B, but have to go through a series of hops to get there.  Each hop cause a limiting effect on your internet speed.
Typically in the UK even to get to the Virgin servers a customer will take 20 or more hops to eventually arrive at the target destination, all the hops affect bandwidth. A target server has a fixed bandwidth that is shared between all connected users, sites such as YouTube have thousands of fast networks cards, with very fast storage devices in order to cope with the billions of hits it gets every year, yet at times it appears slow.

If other devices are using your superhub (such as your V6 box, mobile device, or anything else that uses you connection) then your speed will drop.

The important thing to remember is that if your internet is fast enough for what you use it for then the numbers are meaningless, if is not fast enough then increase it.

You can't learn anything from a mistake until you admit that you've made it.
0 Kudos
MateuSZ1
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

That is when I pay for vivid 200 I will never have this speed.? Earlier I had vivid 100 and the speed was mostly 80-100mbps. Now, when paying more, it expects higher speed.

Adduxi
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@michaeldavis wrote:

<snip> You need to deduct about 6% as any speed is made up of upload and down load speed, vivid 200 will reserve 12 Mbps for uploads. <snip>

Wrong.  VM overprovision all their broadband tiers, Vivid 200 is about 230 if I remember correctly and that does not include an allowance for Upload.

You should get 200/12 with a wired connection unless there is a problem with the circuit, e.g. over-utilisation or noise on the line.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As Adduxi says, the download and upload are separate identities, going in different directions, it's like including a car's reversing speed when quoting a car's top speed.

Most Docsis cable ISPs over provision by about 10% to account for Layer 2 overheads. (and it helps average speed claims)

As advised above you will need to test the speed the speed being received at the Hub by connecting a gigabit enabled device directly to the Hub by CAT 5E or better ethernet cable. Wireless is just too unreliable to test the true speed as it is affected by many factors like client hardware, range, interference. the number of devices using the same wireless channel and the topography of your home.

0 Kudos