Menu
kevinh
Dialled in
Message 11 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Broadband Speeds

I doubt this has anything to do with my upstream power levels. They were presumably fine yesterday as my broadband was as fast as usual. It can't be a coincidence that there was a total failure of broadband, phone and TV services last night.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 12 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Fair enough, the Hub transmitting on two upstream channels at max transmit power would not indicate a problem, hey they were OK last night, it's not like the Hub can adjust the transit power every 30seconds.

Good luck resolving your problem.

kevinh
Dialled in
Message 13 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I think you confused me with the OP. I haven't posted any hub stats.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 14 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I apologise, you are correct, rereading, it wasn't you that posted the stats and I didn't realise you have also hijacked the thread.

This is the type of confusion that can arise when people hijack threads and is why it is against the Forum rules

There are very many causes of slow broadband speed, from dodgy drivers, browser add ons, a host of local circuit problems and a shedful of wireless issues, just to name a few. Due to the huge diversity of possible problems each case deserves to be treated on it's own merit as diagnostic paths can take many different directions and get quite convoluted.

So yes, each problem should have it's own thread.

kevinh
Dialled in
Message 15 of 20
Flag for a moderator

What rule would that be? I can't see anything in the rules that supports your comment.

When there are multiple users suffering similar problems it makes sense to discuss them in one thread until it becomes clear the causes are different. Sorry if that means you have to read posts more carefully.

griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 16 of 20
Flag for a moderator

OK the Forum Rules have been revamped since I last read them, I will give you that one.

Multiple users may be suffering from the similar symptoms that which can be perceived as the same problem to the technically naive, but in fact it is an entirely different problem that requires a different diagnostic path to discover what the problem is, as I said earlier there are very many causes for slow broadband with different diagnostic paths to determine the cause..

So, at what point does it becomes "apparent" that they are indeed different problems?
How many different simultaneous diagnostic paths have you got to try before it becomes apparent they are different problems?
How many tangents can a thread fly off in before it becomes unintelligible?
What happens when it does become apparent that there are multiple causes in the thread, do you carry on on the same thread or start a new one? If the latter, you might as well have started a new thread in the first place.

So, from a technical point of view it doesn't make sense to lump problems with similar symptoms into the same thread.
It is a bit like 6 patents visiting the doctor all will back pains,all with different causes and expecting the doctor to treat them all at the same time.

It is not just me that needs to read the threads more carefully, but, more importantly the official VM forum Team do too.
By the time the VM Forum Team visit a thread there could be multiple posters posting on the same thread thinking they have the same problem.
In such cases VM need to separate the wheat from the chaff which takes time, delaying response times for the OP and other posters further down the queue.

Do you think that is fair? I don't

In similar cases, with the old Swansea team who actually resolved the problems themselves rather than refer to Live Chat had to constantly urge posters to start new threads to simplify the thread as threads can become quite complex and convoluted with different problems on the same thread. Simplifying threads makes answering queries much quicker and more efficient and does not create an unnecessary workload on the Forum Staff.and not be distracted by things like posters responding to comments on their power levels which they haven't yet made public.(crystal ball?)
Another issue is that posts tagging onto a thread tend to be missed by the VM Forum staff which has happened in the past.

Anyway,feel free to carrying on arguing the toss rather than trying to get your problem sorted. I will leave you to it, Good Luck getting your issue resolved.

With apologies to the OP who will now probably have to wait a bit longer for his tech visit.

felix53
Dialled in
Message 17 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I thought I had the same problem and also wasn't aware of the non existent rule, so need to rely so aggressively Also, I am not a "he", I am a female OAP.

This morning before I turned on my PC I restarted the hub and now have a download speed of 165.66 and upload of 10.03. I don't know if that has fixed the problem, or if it would have been fixed without my rebooting the hub.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 18 of 20
Flag for a moderator

When you have a problem always do a reboot before reporting it. So, even if it doesn't solve the problem at least you are starting from a known state.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
kevinh
Dialled in
Message 19 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@griffin wrote:

OK the Forum Rules have been revamped since I last read them, I will give you that one.

Multiple users may be suffering from the similar symptoms that which can be perceived as the same problem to the technically naive, but in fact it is an entirely different problem that requires a different diagnostic path to discover what the problem is, as I said earlier there are very many causes for slow broadband with different diagnostic paths to determine the cause..

So, at what point does it becomes "apparent" that they are indeed different problems?
How many different simultaneous diagnostic paths have you got to try before it becomes apparent they are different problems?
How many tangents can a thread fly off in before it becomes unintelligible?
What happens when it does become apparent that there are multiple causes in the thread, do you carry on on the same thread or start a new one? If the latter, you might as well have started a new thread in the first place.

So, from a technical point of view it doesn't make sense to lump problems with similar symptoms into the same thread.
It is a bit like 6 patents visiting the doctor all will back pains,all with different causes and expecting the doctor to treat them all at the same time.

It is not just me that needs to read the threads more carefully, but, more importantly the official VM forum Team do too.
By the time the VM Forum Team visit a thread there could be multiple posters posting on the same thread thinking they have the same problem.
In such cases VM need to separate the wheat from the chaff which takes time, delaying response times for the OP and other posters further down the queue.

Do you think that is fair? I don't

In similar cases, with the old Swansea team who actually resolved the problems themselves rather than refer to Live Chat had to constantly urge posters to start new threads to simplify the thread as threads can become quite complex and convoluted with different problems on the same thread. Simplifying threads makes answering queries much quicker and more efficient and does not create an unnecessary workload on the Forum Staff.and not be distracted by things like posters responding to comments on their power levels which they haven't yet made public.(crystal ball?)
Another issue is that posts tagging onto a thread tend to be missed by the VM Forum staff which has happened in the past.

Anyway,feel free to carrying on arguing the toss rather than trying to get your problem sorted. I will leave you to it, Good Luck getting your issue resolved.

With apologies to the OP who will now probably have to wait a bit longer for his tech visit.

Alessandro,

Please tone it down. I'm not technically naive so don't through accusations around like that. I'm a software engineer. I've been writing and using software on various platforms since 1976. My experience with PCs goes back to the MS-DOS era. If you want to help in the forum then try being less confrontational. It's bad enough quoting non-existent rules at people to shut them down. Maybe you'd like to consider why the rule you remembered is no longer there?

The fact is the problem I had occurred after 8pm, so calling the tech support line was not an option. I came to the forum to see if anyone else was experiencing similar problems.

felix53
Dialled in
Message 20 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

When you have a problem always do a reboot before reporting it. So, even if it doesn't solve the problem at least you are starting from a known state.

Thanks. I had restarted my PC earlier, but didn't think there was a problem with the hub as my wi-fi around the house was perfectly OK.

0 Kudos