Menu
Alan_edward
Joining in
Message 11 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Broadband Speeds

Hi Alex

Many thanks for looking into this.

The speeds I was getting last night was between 21 to 33 mbps avg. on a brand new cat5e cable connnected to a MacBook Pro. Also the speeds are consistent on the wireless channel as well.

And yes it was a pin hole reset performed a couple of days ago on the brand new router (hub 3) which was just installed as well.

Thanks

Alan

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me, 

I've run a health check on your account and no issues are flagging up from our side, I appreciate this may not be the case at your end.

We would recommend a Gigabit NIC and preferably a Cat 6 Ethernet cable as our minimum requirements. 

I've arranged to send a Cat 6 cable, should be with you within 3- 5 working days. If you can let me know if this offers any change then we'll take it from there 🙂

Kind regards, 

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Alan_edward
Joining in
Message 13 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex,

I am currently using a cat 5e cable rated at 1gbps which the call centre agent confirmed as a minimum requirement last night.

We are discussing an issue for speeds of 100Mbps which technically a cat5 cable should satisfy the requirements right?  even taking into account the line latency and noise I should get close to the 90% of the speeds.

I believe there is an issue in the line going into my house and I am fairly positive of this based on my user experience on various parts of the service.

Also, I have records from my phone (Ookla app) where my WIFI speed showed over 90 mbps (on 2nd April) and several occurrences of 100 or more mbps in the previous months.  I have seen this positive behaviour for years; therefore this issue is an uncommon issue.

Can we get an engineer to investigate on-premise because I am not convinced that a cat6 cable would resolve this and shouldn't be a minimum requirement for a 100MBps line.

keen to hear your thoughts.

Regards,

Alan

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 14 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Long shot - I am a Mac person too and was helping a guy with a speed problem which turnedout to be browser related. He was using Chrome (spit!) he uninstalled it and installed Firefox and his speeds went back to normal.

Ok did as you requested with chrome and "bingo", the speeds were only 70-80 Mbps - whilst safari and firefox get 370+
so something in Chrome is slowing down the speed

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Etherent-speed-slow/m-p/3912102#M202773

So, have you tried alternate browsers

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Alan_edward
Joining in
Message 15 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi JBrennand,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have tried both Chrome and Safari browsers and both are consistent unfortunately.

Also, this consistency is across wifi too (and before anyone knocks off wifi not having the same reliability as cable, I used 5G band with the phone next to it). (I have attached screenshots two previous records for reference

from the times I have tested for speeds)IMG_8595.PNGIMG_8596.PNG

0 Kudos
Alan_edward
Joining in
Message 16 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex,

As a quick update, I performed a speed test once again and the speeds are back to or close 10 the 100 Mbps.  Not sure how this happened (perhaps there is Virgin engineers performing works in my area?).  I'll monitor for today and tomorrow (and cancel an engineer visit which is currently scheduled for Wednesday).

Here is the latest speed comparison from the last week (note, I have tested this by wire too).

IMG_8603.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 17 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alan_edward,

Thank you for your post. 

Please do keep us posted.

^Martin

0 Kudos
Alan_edward
Joining in
Message 18 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martin,

The speeds are fine today and the engineer visit has been cancelled. 

Does this have to do with my neighbour getting virgin media;  there is a van outside installing cables in their house since this morning?

I am still concerned that the root cause has yet to be identified and the tech call centre weren't able to identify or even assume an area of fault.

All I know is that I escalated to leave, and an engineer was scheduled as a result.  The next day, the service resumed to normal parameters - sitting at 109mbps over wifi and wire this morning.

Regards,

Alan

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 19 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for keeping us posted.

It could be there was an issue outside that the engineer has resolved. 

At this point I would recommend to monitor this and see if there is any change throughout the day.

^Martin

0 Kudos