Let me know how things are looking after the fix date

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
TheChairman
Dialled in
Message 12 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Single Thread HTTP issue retruns

Well single thread speeds are at the correct limit although the power levels will still need checking.

0 Kudos
TheChairman
Dialled in
Message 13 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Got an email today saying someone had replied. Well I can't see what the post was must be a phantom email.

0 Kudos
TheChairman
Dialled in
Message 14 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Engineer came today and discovered a forward path attenuator in the box outside. Removed that then of course the levels were two high anyway I've got one connected directly to the hub. 

I'm surprised that it was there too be honest and I suspect it may have been put on when the engineer came to fix next doors phone and temporarily patched their none working phone into my box as temp fix. Needless to say that temp fix is still there and a rather bodged affair as well. The cables joints were outside the box and the cable too tight to put it inside. It could that the bush was in the way at the time and they were coming back later to do a proper fix and never came back. The cover of the box is now held on with three cable ties. Today's engineer used one but the cover was hanging open so I added to more two to make the fit better.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 15 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi TheChairman,

Our apologies for the delay. Thank you for keeping us up to date, have there been any improvements since the engineer recently visited? Please keep us posted.

Many thanks,

Louis

0 Kudos
Highlighted
TheChairman
Dialled in
Message 16 of 23
Flag for a moderator

DSl and Thinkbroad band speedtests on the single thread download are all over the place. Speeds anything from 350 to 80. Speedtest single thread reports okay which makes me think the single thread test doesn't do anything.

Downloading ubuntu iso image 1st time it was downloading at 45mb/sec 2nd time 4.7mb/sec 3rd time 25mb/sec which sort of backs up dsl and thinkbroad erratic speed results.

I wonder if this is due to the bodged cabling on the phone which is tapped into my connection.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 17 of 23
Flag for a moderator

With the greatest of respect, why not just use a multithreaded protocol?

Like you say, most people dont notice so its not an issue as far as VM are concerned. Depending on your CMTS and the QOS scheduling/how busy it is it will affect you more/less. Then you need to take into account what frequencies EVERY hub on the segment are using to load balance effectively, my understanding is its a processor cycle VS "obvious detriment to the end user" issue. But sometimes I make stuff up in my head.

I mean im pernickety, but consign this to the "yeah it does that" bin along with several other issues....

The thing that raises flags for me is you should NOT be able to "see" the difference, i.e when browsing. Once the area fault is sorted, revisit and if browsing is still markedly different, likely a circuit impairment....

The other thing i would check is LAN throughput when your browser is baulking out.

0 Kudos
TheChairman
Dialled in
Message 18 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Actually you can notice the difference when browsing which is when I may go and check what the speed is. Tomorrow the issue may go away and may go away for weeks.

The CMTS I'm on is the one "that doesn't have an issue" which I pointed out on the original thread when this issue came up.

The engineer said the frequencies were a bit odd and said he was going to check the cabinet when he left. Whether he did or not is another question.

As for Lan I made sure it was nice and quiet at the time.

I did find interesting that the single thread speed tests are more spikey since the signal levels have been fixed.

It was also interesting that there was attentuattor in the outside box. Now when I had a TV box the engineer found the signal level was to high and corrected it in the house he didn't go outside.

When the hub 3 was fitted the engineer removed it since I didn't have a TV box anymore and I would be losing two much power.

Now the only people that have been in the box was another virgin engineer who tapped the neighbors phone from my box. I wonder if he put it on when he did that.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 19 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I suspect you may be right- bad joint may well cause it.

But lets chase down the rest as well....

Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
TheChairman
Dialled in
Message 20 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Here's the latest modem stats

thinkbroad 150819.jpgvirgin down stream 150819.jpgvirgin down stream bonded 150819.jpgvirgin upstream 150819.jpg

0 Kudos