cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Since last Friday our Broadband has been running slowly, even after restarting it.

paulwingfield
Tuning in

Today it's running at 7.23 Mbps which is an improvement on yesterday when downloads were at 0.60Mbps and uploads at 0.87Mbps.

I called and was told there's nothing that be done. Very disappointing. 

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
"Nothing can be done" tells you or us nothing - usual CS rubbish.

Can you first try the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum).

Then, also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

See if anything is reported on there and report back here.

what Hub model is it and what are the various lights doing ? Are you having the same issues at the same time on both wifi and ethernet cable connected devices?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @paulwingfield,

Welcome to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry to see you are having slow broadband.

I located your account and can see a device is too close to the Hub which is causing in home network issues, can you please move any Bluetooth device away from the Hub and reboot? Then check the speeds for me?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Bluetooth ???

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Corey_C

Hi paulwingfield,

Sorry to hear that you are having connectivity issues. Can you confirm if these speeds are from wired or wireless connections?

Cheers,

Corey C

Wireless but I'm 1m away from the router and I don't think the problem is WiFi.

I went away for the weekend and tonight I'm getting less than 3 MBs downloads. This has been going on for well over a week now, without mention of repairs or refunds for loss of service. Surely something can be done soon because its driving me mad. 

I came to Virgin a few years ago because the BT network was intermittent like this, now you've got me thinking that you're heading in the same direction. Please don't!

The Bluetooth is my Samsung TV and it hasn't changed since it was first there over a year ago. How could that make the network slow some of the time but other times have zero impact?

I've no idea why you were asked about Bluetooth.  That's nothing whatever to do with the broadband connection.

Can you please do a speed test with a wired device.  That will show whether it's a broadband problem or a WiFi problem. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

I would be presuming that it would cause potential WiFi interference especially if the speedtests are done wirelessly.

Let us know the result of the wired speedtest done on a PC/Laptop please.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill