Significantly Reduced Download Speeds after 7:30AM
06-09-202111:08 - edited 06-09-202111:28
Thanks in advance for any responses. I've tried to include all diagnostic data requested in similar threads, I'll respond ASAP to add anything I've missed.
Follow-up post(s) to include frequently requested hub status / logs.
Area Reference - 30
Broadband Package - M100
Since Wednesday, 1st September 2021 we've experienced much slower download speeds than we normally receive. Before this, with a wired connection, we'd receive anywhere between 80-100 Mbps download at all times of the day.
- Download speeds are reduced across the board. Our new "peak" is speeds of between 40-66Mbps Down.
- This peak is only available between sometime after midnight and approximately 7:30AM
- Once 7:30AM nears - download speeds are reduced further to 2-4Mbps. This range is then maintained until gone midnight.
- This cycle has repeated itself for 6-days straight.
Throughout this, our Upload speeds have remained unchanged, averaging around the advertised 10mbps for our particular package.
Relevant points of note:
- Hub 3.0. Rebooted/ reset numerous times. Hub & device left off completely for 30-mins.
- Testing whilst connected by a Cat6 ethernet cable, directly from desktop to Hub. I've also since replaced this ethernet cable with a new Cat8 cable from a trusted brand via Amazon.
- All cables checked and confirmed to be securely connected. As far as I can tell everything looks in good condition, including splitter & coaxial.
- Speed tests ran on 3 different devices. Speed test ran whilst in safe mode. Speed test all additionally tested via both Wi-Fi & a Powerline adapter. All scenarios share the same pattern of reduced speeds.
- Tried connecting to all 4 ports on Hub 3.0. Same patterns regardless of which port is used.
- No changes to device/ hub setup, no increase in connected devices. Regularly average 5 connected devices, with only one of these devices being what I'd consider as a 'heavy' user.
- Checked 'local status' and no issues have been reported.
- Virgin Media customer for over a decade and this is the only prolonged internet issue I can recall, other than scheduled infrastructure maintenance.
Broadband Quality Monitor over last 24 hours (packet losses reflect when the hub was switched off)
Speedtest.net download speed patterns over the last 3 days:
Re: Significantly Reduced Download Speeds after 7:30AM
Happy coincidence but after running a speed test at 2PM, it looks like whatever issue was has (at least temporarily) been resolved after 6-days out in the desert. Seeing 90Mbps down which is good enough for me - Can park this thread for the time being, and hopefully I won't have to revisit!
For anybody following this thread after the fact, unfortunately I'm none the wiser as to what the issue was, and hadn't made any changes (other than rebooting the Hub every so often) to alleviate the problem. If I uncover anything, I'll add to this thread.
Will keep the BQM running as it may be useful to compare/ contrast if needed.