cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signed 1GB internet and getting 500MB

fernandocjr
Joining in

Hi all,

I signed 1GB internet plan, and got the modem 2 days ago.
Since then, I`m running tests and the internet speed never gets anywhere close to 1GB.

And it is sad to realize the difference between the sales and technical support in Virgin. Sales answered within a few minutes, while technical support does not answer me at all.

So, tried everything with the wifi configs, nothing changed, so I got an CAT6 500MHz cable and plugged on the laptop and on the HUB, disconnected all the devices and still I`m only getting 550/600mb speed.

Does anyone have an idea of what could it be? I though that maybe it could be the access point which is not Virgin, its an old one that was already in the house when I moved in.

4 REPLIES 4

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Have a look in the hub's status pages.  Under the heading Configuration there's a load of tech mumbo-jumbo, and you're after the Downstream Max Traffic Rate, which is in bits per second, so knock off six zeroes, and you'll have the configured download speed.  For a Gig 1 connection I think that's around 1170 Mbps.

Hi Andrew

I`m sorry for the delay.
I just checked, and the downstream Max Traffic rate is already set like this.

Max Traffic Rate

So I suppose, its right

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You are on the 1Gb service.

So how are you testing speeds - on wifi or ethernet connections?

At what site?

What devices are you using to do them?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi fernandocjr,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you're having some trouble with the connection, 

How are things today? Are you able to confirm the details jbrennand has asked for?

Alex_Rm