Menu
Swirly43
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Signal and upgrade

On my old wifi everything was fine xbox worked perfectly however now I'm on hub 3 my wifi is terrible. Also it might help if virgin actually upgraded from ipv4 to ipv6 instead of blaming it on the device in question. Another family member of mine emailed virgin and they tried to say it was my xbox not the wifi , in that case explain why it works perfectly fine on my friends wireless network but not mine?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jbrennand
Legend
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Signal and upgrade

It is really quite simple - the Hub3 is not providing you with a good stable wifi signal that is usable at the current xbox location. You have 3 options
1) Connect the xbox by Cat5e/6a ethernet cable (best option)
2) Connect the xbox by powerline adapters (need powercircuits to be inter-connected in the same CU)
3) Improve the wifi signal at the location of the xbox (several options for doing this, each with many advocates) - simplest would be to move the Hub by a foot or two away up/down/sideways from any interfering TV's, walls, metal, etc. and see if it improves

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Swirly43
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Spoiler
Yes this would help however in my situation I am unable to move my xbox downstairs to the wifi.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Swirly43,

Have you ran any tests on the Connect app at all? This may allow you to order a Wi-Fi booster for the room where the Xbox is located.

Alternatively, have you attempted a pin hole reset on the Hub? This will return the Hub to it's factory settings but is known to solve a lot of issues. Click here for further information

I might also be worth reading this handy link regarding games consoles

David_Bn  

0 Kudos
Swirly43
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have tried all of these (thanks for your help   I mean it)      however I already have a wifi booster in my room where the xbox is located

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

WiFi boosters only transmit a good signal if it receives one. Try moving the booster a bit closer to the hub itself. As they are also and extra link they cut the speeds a bit and also add ping time. Not ideal for gaming.

Ultimately as said above, if you care about your gaming then get an Ethernet cable to the Xbox room. Alternatively (this isn’t sarcastic) look at investing ~£100 into a decent 3rd parry router as many of us on the forums have done. The super hubs are only entry level devices for wireless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response Swirly43.

I think this is something that might need to be looked at a little closer.

If you have a booster in the same room as the XBox then you should be working on 5ghz which of course is designed to give you the faster speeds.

What kind of result do you pull in when you run a speed test in the room? 

David_Bn

0 Kudos