Menu
Martyr101
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Should be getting 100MB but only getting 50mb

Hi,

i upgraded my broadband 2 days ago to 100mb and yet my broadband speed still doesn’t exceed 50mb at best. I’m using WiFi and am right next to router.

Have checked the GUI on router and max traffic downstream is set to 115000000 bps.

Tried to use the live chat but got a message to say they were busy, then I called, was hung up on by the recorded message, then when I did finally get put in the queue I gave up on waiting after 15mins! 

Any advice would be great.

Can’t go wired as can’t find cable, also even if I did this, isn’t this defeating the point as surely people want 100mb over WiFi for iPads etc?

thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Should be getting 100MB but only getting 50mb

you need to test with a wired connection. Wifi can be effected by everything from bluetooth and microwaves to a car parked outside.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Martyr101
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. 

Whats the best way to test this if I don’t have a laptop or desktop? We have 2 phones and 1 iPad connected. Not all I’m use at same time.

thanks

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You may never get 100Mb Wifi depending on the device or how bad the WiFi is of the hub.

You could use modem mode and get a better Wireless router or just ask to go back to 50Mb.

0 Kudos
brooksy79
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Try Speedtest by Ookla and Speedcheck ios apps or http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?nav=2

Double make sure your using 5Ghz wifi band to.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Martyr101 wrote:

Thanks. 

Whats the best way to test this if I don’t have a laptop or desktop? We have 2 phones and 1 iPad connected. Not all I’m use at same time.

thanks

Get a friend or neighbour with a gigabit enabled laptop to come in and test it on a Cat6a cable whilst you make them a cup of tea and a biscuit.  Also the and pad will connect much faster on the 5GHz network - is that the one you are on ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Martyr101
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the link. Looks like I’m getting 15mb on my WiFi. I’m definitely on the 5G connection. Will try and source a cable a run a wired test. 

Thanks for the advice!

0 Kudos
Martyr101
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thanks, will try and get a cable off a friend. I’ve checked and am on the 5G connection.

ive got the SuperHub 2ac so I don’t think that’s the issue. 

Thanks

0 Kudos