cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious Routing / Peering issues to Europe

Duecalion
Joining in

Hi there,

I'm having some serious peering issues when connecting to servers outside Ireland/UK, I'm currently on the 500mbps cable plan and I can barely pull down more than 1.5 mb/s from European servers. 

I have tested this with multiple providers, Hetzner, Leaseweb, OVH and all result in the same hard capped 1.5 mb/s download speed. Using neighbors internet connections or LTE I can easily pull down 30-90mb/s.

Within the UK and Ireland, it's generally fine and speedtest.net reports nearly the full line speed. However when I change the speedtest server location to anywhere in Europe I encounter the speed issue.

Using Hetzners or Leasewebs own speedtests below for an example, I can never exceed 1.5mbp/s, at any time of day or night. It's such a consistent speed that it feels like it was configured that way. Using the phone or any other internet connection, I can easily pull down 20 mb/s

I've done all the tricks, I'm connected directly with high quality CAT6. I've disconnected other devices during tests, turned off the router firewall, put it in modem mode and hooked it up to a wifi router. Nothing changes.

Similarly, forcing IPV4 or IPV6 has no effect either. Chatting with the data centers after running MTR tests, I have been told this is a routing issue on Virgin Media's end.

I would really like to get this resolved, I'm not the only one with this issue, an identical issue was detailed here in this thread and it seemed to be resolved with line works? 1.5 mb/s down just isn't enough when working from home and I need to download large files. I pay 120 Euros for broadband + 2 TV's and I really need this resolved to continue.

I'm quite knowledgeable when it comes to networking and I'd be happy to do any tests required to pinpoint the issue if necessary. It'd be great to get some technical support on this, ringing the customer support line has gotten me nowhere!

1 REPLY 1

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

This forum is run by VM UK, and you're presumably with Virgin Media Ireland; Despite the common name and same parent company these are two different businesses, so the vast majority of forum users are UK based, and all forum staff are VM UK employees.  There's some things where the moderate commonality of cable technology lets us amateurs offer useful advice to VMI customers, but traffic routing is not one of those, and staff here won't be able to refer the problem to VMI's network team.  Sorry I can't offer anything more helpful.  I'd try ringing again, and asking for the matter to be referred to VMI's network team - somebody will know what's going on, but they'll be fifteen levels removed from customers, and fourteen levels removed from first line customer support.