cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samknows not working with my new Hub4

TangoTango27
On our wavelength

Hi all

Having upgraded to Gig1 broadband, yesterday I received my new VM Hub4 and, after several reboots, I am now consistently getting around 945Mbps download and 44.50Mbps upload using the Ookla SpeedTest app on my Windows 10 PC -  which is obviously great news!

I appreciate that due to the limitations of the Gigabit network port I'm not going to see anything faster than 945Mbps using a traditional speed test such as Ookla.  But to overcome this, the documentation that came with the Hub4 specifically tells you to check the download speed using samknows.com/realspeed which will show the actual download speed to the hub (ie before the 1Gigabit network port restriction).

But my problem is that whenever I try the samknows realspeed test it just comes back and says "Your SamKnows enabled device is offline" which suggests that the realspeed facility has not been enabled in my hub.  Any thoughts on how I can enable this so I can check my true download speed?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_JK

@TangoTango27 @DigitalDonkey @ZinG 

Hi there and thanks for bringing this issue to our attention.

After some investigation we found there was an issue preventing some customers from accessing SamKnows features.

We've since put a fix in place which should resolve this issue for all of those affected.

You may need to perform a reboot of your hub for this to take effect. Simply switch the hub off at the power for a minute or so, then back on again and wait for the connection to resume. The SamKnows features may take about 20 minutes to become available after this.

Please let us know if you encounter any further difficulties.

Best, 

Michael_JK
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

carl_pearce
Community elder

@TangoTango27 wrote:

Hi all

Yesterday I received my new VM Hub4 and, after several reboots, I am now consistently getting around 945Mbps download and 44.50Mbps upload using the Ookla SpeedTest app on my Windows 10 PC -  which is obviously great news!

I appreciate that due to the limitations of the Gigabit network port I'm not going to see anything faster than 945Mbps using a traditional speed test such as Ookla.  But to overcome this, the documentation that came with the Hub4 specifically tells you to check the download speed using samknows.com/realspeed which will show the actual download speed to the hub (ie before the 1Gigabit network port restriction).

But my problem is that whenever I try the samknows realspeed test it just comes back and says "Your SamKnows enabled device is offline" which suggests that the realspeed facility has not been enabled in my hub.  Any thoughts on how I can enable this so I can check my true download speed?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Are you using your HUB 4 in router mode, so not using your own kit with it in modem mode?

Action a speed test on a wired and wireless device simultaneously and add the results together! Remember the bandwidth/speed is shared across all devices.

Hi Carl

Thanks for the reply..

Yes I'm router mode and at the moment I just have a single PC hardwired into the hub.  My problem just seems to be that samknows doesn't think that my hub is enabled for realspeed.

@TangoTango27 wrote:

Hi Carl

Thanks for the reply..

Yes I'm router mode and at the moment I just have a single PC hardwired into the hub.  My problem just seems to be that samknows doesn't think that my hub is enabled for realspeed.

Maybe one for the VM staff.

I've read about it before but I'm unsure on the resolution/fix.

Have you ever signed into the HUB on 192.168.0.1?

Yup I've logged into the hub's web interface on 192.168.0.1 but I can't see anything in there that would relate to realspeed.

As you say, I may have to wait for someone at VM to pick this up but thanks for your thoughts.

@TangoTango27 wrote:

Yup I've logged into the hub's web interface on 192.168.0.1 but I can't see anything in there that would relate to realspeed.

As you say, I may have to wait for someone at VM to pick this up but thanks for your thoughts.

I just wondered if it was related to the fact the initial setup when first signing in hadn't been actioned (Setting language, etc.). Sounds like it has though!

Can anyone from VM advise please?

@TangoTango27 wrote:

Can anyone from VM advise please?

It can take a few days to a week for a reply from the VM staff.

Got the same with mine, hub4 all appears to be ok but the samknows realspeed thinks I am not connected.

I can see through forum posts that if you think you have issues with 1gig one of the first thing they ask is for you to run the realspeed check going to be a bit of fun if you still cannot run one

Same problem here, i.e. "Your SamKnows enabled device is offline" with new SuperHub 4 - 1Gig fibre using SamKnows.com/realspeed. 

Any suggestions from the VM Team?

Regards.