Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SamKnows RealSpeed test

Nickcrouch
Tuning in

I am connect to my Hub 3 wifi.  I try the SamKnows RealSpeed test and it says:

"No router found

Make sure you’re on the same WiFi network as your Virgin Media Hub.
The Virgin Media Hub must also be on router mode"

I am still connected and internet is working.........

What am I doing wrong?

63 REPLIES 63

jhuk
Trouble shooter

9/10 SamKnows is wrong for me and 9.9/10 over the past 25ish years every fault I have had was out in the street or elsewhere on the network (the 0.1 is the one time it was faulty Moto SB Modem before the VM Routers).

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @chrisjames,

Thank you for coming back to us. I'm very sorry to hear that you're still experiencing some speed issues on a wired connection.

I was able to run some internal checks on our systems and I can see that your power levels are not looking so great. Your downstream power levels are out of spec and to have this resolved, we would need to book in a technician appointment to rectify this problem. 

I will send you a Private Message to confirm a few details and have this booked in. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I will be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @chrisjames,

Thank you for coming back to me via private message and confirming your details. I have now booked you a technician visit for your power level issues – you can check and amend the date and time of your appointment via your online account.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Let us know how your appointment goes and if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @chrisjames,

I have been able to reschedule your appointment as requested.

Keep us updated on how the appointment goes and if you need any further assistance after this.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

@Paulina_Z wrote:

Hi @chrisjames,

I have been able to reschedule your appointment as requested.

Keep us updated on how the appointment goes and if you need any further assistance after this.

Thank you.

Paulina

Thank you. Engineer worked on power levels as they were just within acceptable levels but basically made no diffference! Demonstrated why I was puzzled about SamKnows speed (he said it was the only speed checker approved by OfCom) - SamKnows says my speed between hub and computer is 238 Mbps whilst Ookla speed test claims it is 452 Mbps (tests made one minute ago) - he was unable to account for this wide discrepancy.

Hi chrisjames,

Thanks for the update, Looking at things from our side I can see there seems to be a short-term stability issue we're aware of, this may cause intermittent or performance related issues with the customers connection.

In the vast majority of cases, these types of issues are resolved after 24 hours. If you can please keep us posted with how you get on.

Alex_Rm

@Alex_RM wrote:

Hi chrisjames,

Thanks for the update, Looking at things from our side I can see there seems to be a short-term stability issue we're aware of, this may cause intermittent or performance related issues with the customers connection.

In the vast majority of cases, these types of issues are resolved after 24 hours. If you can please keep us posted with how you get on.

Alex_Rm

Update: Intermittent drop-outs lasting between 15secs and 5 minutes any time of day

Now: SamKnows check. Hello, this message is back again.:

This WiFi network does not support RealSpeed

Make sure you’re on the same WiFi network as your Virgin Media Hub. The Virgin Media Hub must be on router mode.
You’ll also need to temporarily disable VPNs if you have one.

That MSG is BS, it says that even in WIRED and WIFI disabled on the PC.

It was recently fixed for me and others though, I just check now and still ok, but the test fell over halfway through and said, "Something went wrong".

Hi @chrisjames

Thanks for posting on our community forum

How has your connection been over the weekend? Please do provide us with an update.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

@Travis_M wrote:

Hi @chrisjames

Thanks for posting on our community forum

How has your connection been over the weekend? Please do provide us with an update.

Regards

A bit disappointing really. It keeps dropping out for about a minute, just long enough to be a nuisance. Happens several times a day. Don't know whether this is happening because an engineer tweeked a couple of settings or whether it's a continuation of national problems that you suffered last week. Both things happened around the same time. Still getting the same message from SamKnows too!