Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SamKnows RealSpeed test

Nickcrouch
Tuning in

I am connect to my Hub 3 wifi.  I try the SamKnows RealSpeed test and it says:

"No router found

Make sure you’re on the same WiFi network as your Virgin Media Hub.
The Virgin Media Hub must also be on router mode"

I am still connected and internet is working.........

What am I doing wrong?

63 REPLIES 63

Hi chrisjames, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the speed test, can you confirm if you are getting the same issue when the test is done via an Ethernet connection? Can you reboot the hub to see if anything changes? Please let us know how it goes? ^Chris

Thanks for your interest Chris. My test was on my PC which has an Ethernet connection. My phone also came up with the same message. I now have Netflix but I think that's because I made an official complaint about a week ago. A reboot has made no difference to the SamKnows message.

@chrisjames the RealSpeed test works by having a software 'agent' or deamon running as part of the Hub's firmware. Now you won't be the first to report that this stops working for no obvious reason and a reboot doesn't kick it back to life. What does seem to work is a full factory reset of the hub (the stick a pin in the  reset hole for a minute) which also wipes out any custom settings you might have made.

Now having said all that, I do have to say that I have some real reservations about just how reliable this speed test is, not - I hasten to add - that I think anything is wrong with the SamKnows methodology, more just how well it has been implemented on the VM hubs.

Let's take what you reported earlier;

"For the first few days SamKnows said my router speed was 1.176gb day after day."

Now how likely do you think it is that your internet speed to the hub would be identical on every measurement to four significant figures for a couple of days. That's just not how internet connectivity works - I'm sorry but that's just not believable!

There have been a couple of posts with screen shots showing a speed to the PC as being higher than that to the hub - which is interesting! And yes, I do know that these are asynchronous measurements - but still!

@jem 101 Thanks for that extensive reply. To he honest I'm not going to bust a gut to get Sam to work and resetting my hub would cause me a lot of grief so I have to ask "is it worth it"? I was really wondering why it was suddenly not working!

Tbh I gave up with the speed test doesn't work right it now resides in modem mode and have a expensive router attached to it now wish we could bypass the need virgin modems there not exactly grate 

Sam is now sorted. It works again. Sort of. Speed from router to PC is well down compared to other tests, as many as 300 Mbps!

I would be tempted to trust the other tests (speedtest.net for example) over what the SamKnows test shows. But if you can get reasonably consistent figures from other tests but the SamKnows one is radically different, then, again, you do have to question the reliability of what it reports the speed to the hub is!

jhuk
Trouble shooter

Mine is working again (I did not do any factory resets, but it may have been rebooted recently), but as inaccurate as ever.

HUB 4>1156Mb/s /  PC >384Mb/s, I just do a real file download and get my full 1Gb/s 99.9% of the time

@jhuk wrote:

Mine is working again (I did not do any factory resets, but it may have been rebooted recently), but as inaccurate as ever.

HUB 4>1156Mb/s /  PC >384Mb/s, I just do a real file download and get my full 1Gb/s 99.9% of the time

Mine says HUB4>1145/PC>236.   Speed Test from Ookla shows PC>427.56, this 'slowness' is probably due to the fact that my PC is over 6 years old! Mobile phone reads a faster speed.   Funny how Virgin are pushing SamKnows when it seems some results it gives are suspect but I suppose it's because the Hub4 speed is so flattering for them!

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
9/10 times when i had to visit a customer it was the customers equipment/setup, samknows is there to stop wasted visits