cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUPER HUB 5 2022

waqyboy
Tuning in

Anyone had any luck claiming a hub5 in 2022 yet? I know it has bugs but im going to use it in modem mode and connect it to my tp link ax-11000 to get the max speed out of my gig1. Also i know its invite only, but i may have deleted my invite accidentally from my mail box. Anyone from virgin team help?

55 REPLIES 55

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

There's a VM staff response somewhere here to a similar question, and it boils down to "if you've lost your ticket, you aren't getting in".  

They have the number of Hub 5's in field trials that they want (mostly with people who don't know it's a trial), and no amount of asking or pleading will now get you one before the product goes on a more phased release.  Even then it will probably be targeted (initially) at specific customer groups, particularly those in areas with congestion problems, followed by those on higher speed packages.

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi waqyboy,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, regarding getting a Hub 5.0 as part of a phased roll-out, Virgin Media will offer the Hub 5 to existing customers first at no extra cost, eligible customers will be contacted and given the option of upgrading ahead of a wider launch later on in the year.

Regards

Paul.

alexwesley1993
On our wavelength

Hiya mate, I've got a hub 5, also, you don't need to have it in modem mode to get the full 1.1gbps out of it....my pc, ps5 AND Xbox series X all get the full 1.1gbps out of it via ethernet cable. Of course the series X is limited on download speeds depending on time and server, but that's a Microsoft limit, not the router/virgin. But my pc and ps5 both download at the full 1.1gbps. 

Even my phone, which only has WiFi 5, gets consistently between 750-850/900mbps over WiFi. And if you have a phone with WiFi 6, it'll give you 1.1gbps. I know this as the engineer connected his phone to my router and he was getting 1.1gbps everytime he speed tested it on the same speed test that I use.

Also. I havnt actually had any problems with my hub 5 yet, touch wood. I thought I did at one point but it actually transpired it was my phone that was the issue, and not the router.

Oh also my pc actually got 1.5gbps out of it the other day, I would enclose the photo, but I took it on my phone which is a 4k camera, therefore the website is saying that it exceeds the 1.1mb size limit unfortunately. Id be happy to send to you picture of the results to prove it to you.

But of course ultimately it will be down to you, I've been very happy with it, it's very consistent, and so far stable to. A very happy customer indeed 😃

Oh also my pc actually got 1.5gbps out of it the other day, 

Possibly the case - VM are field trialling higher speeds in various locations, and the Hub 5 itself is currently trial status*.  Historically VM have sometimes done higher speed tests unannounced for a day or two - including an equally unannounced reversion to the normal contract speed.  Higher reported speeds can more commonly be an artefact of speed test web sites that simply aren't optimised for gigabit speeds and so report incorrect results.  The way to tell is to check the Max Traffic Rate under the section Primary Downstream Service Flow, and you'll find that in the Configuration tab of the hub's status pages.  Since that is reporting a software set speed limit, if you see any reported connection speed above the Max Traffic Rate, then the speed test is wrong, as there's no way the hub can exceed the coded limit.

* In VM speak a "soft launch". Soft launch my hairy a***.

adhsmith
On our wavelength
You can aggregate two WAN ports on the Ax-11000, have you tried plugging two ethernet cables from a hub4?

Hiya, yeah a lil update to that, since that message, I've been consistently getting 1.4/1.5gbps downloads on steam on my pc....which is of course, does NOT show inaccurate values....until the past week, it's always show about 1.1gbps, or just under on actual downloads. Now I'm getting consistent 1.4/1.5gbps downloads on pc, which. I'm not going to grumble with. I've been very happy with virgin since joining...

Also, I do know that they have been trialing new speeds recently, the engineer told me himself they have managed 3gps out of the coaxial so far but if they were to go any higher they'd actually install true fiber...still, to get 3gbps over coax is quite an achievement in my eyes. Especially considering when I was with sky on their ultrafast plus, I'd struggle to get a consistent 500mbps which is their max speed.... ridiculous really.

Also, the only problem I've had so far, amusingly actually turnt out to be my phone not my hub lol...so yeah, it's been very stable for me which I'm very happy about. I spent to long without my broadband, and, due to my mental and physical disabilities, is a Essential part of my life... especially when my TV requires broadband to operate.

Anyhow, hope you have a good day pal. Take care

@alexwesley1993 wrote:

Hiya, yeah a lil update to that, since that message, I've been consistently getting 1.4/1.5gbps downloads on steam on my pc....which is of course, does NOT show inaccurate values....until the past week, it's always show about 1.1gbps, or just under on actual downloads. Now I'm getting consistent 1.4/1.5gbps downloads on pc, which. I'm not going to grumble with. I've been very happy with virgin since joining...

Also, I do know that they have been trialing new speeds recently, the engineer told me himself they have managed 3gps out of the coaxial so far but if they were to go any higher they'd actually install true fiber...still, to get 3gbps over coax is quite an achievement in my eyes. Especially considering when I was with sky on their ultrafast plus, I'd struggle to get a consistent 500mbps which is their max speed.... ridiculous really.

Also, the only problem I've had so far, amusingly actually turnt out to be my phone not my hub lol...so yeah, it's been very stable for me which I'm very happy about. I spent to long without my broadband, and, due to my mental and physical disabilities, is a Essential part of my life... especially when my TV requires broadband to operate.

Anyhow, hope you have a good day pal. Take care

Just a note that the maximum real world throughput on a 1Gbps ethernet port, which the majority of your devices will have, is 940Mbps so it appears the values reported are slighlty overrated.

The only times you'll see more on one device are:

• WiFi 6 devices, which I have seen 1.2Gbps.
  • A device with a 2.5Gbps ethernet port connected to the 2.5Gbps ethernet port on the HUB 5.

I'm guessing that you havnt been following this thread AT ALL????? If so, youd know that I HAVE the hub5....which has 2.5gbps ethernet ports, and actually, the WiFi easily gets over 1gbps as I've seen mobile phones get 1.1gbps on WiFi.

.not my own. But the engineer.....

As for MY OWN experience....again as I said, my pc has been downloading at between 1.4/1.5gbps over the past week ..........  And that's not a estimate from the speed test....that's steam actually showing what I'm downloading at ...not only that, with how much mb is being download, it works out to the 1.4/1.5gbps......im not stupid...I do know what I'm talking about pal.....tech has always been my Forte... 

Oh. And my pc is uses a 12600kf, which is powered on a z690 motherboard which HAS 2.5gbps LAN port