cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR issues for weeks, now upstream power levels bad. Internet unusable today.

jontym
On our wavelength

I raised a formal complaint in July because my Hub was regularly cycling round and round as if it was just constantly rebooting.

Had an engineer round in September who confirmed there was no issue with the Hub, or any equipment in my apartment. He removed the 10dB Forward Path Attenuator and 6dB Wideband Attenuator that were previously connected between the incoming cable and the Hub. Told me there was an SNR issue on the network somewhere and asked for a network monitor for 3 days. Not heard anything since this visit.

The problem did not go away, and still hasn't. 

Today the connection has been totally unstable and unusable since at least 9am and ongoing currently. Am experiencing between 5% and 100% packet loss, and total loss of internet for a few seconds at a time, as well as wildly varying download speeds from the full 200mbps to 40-65mbps. Upload speed varying between the full 20mbps ish and zero.

Spent hours chatting to somebody on the Live Chat facility, to be told that my 'upstream power levels are bad' and that he could see my Hub regularly losing connection. Unfortunately he was unable to do anything at all apparently, and that I had to call somebody to explain this to them all over again right from the start. 

Suffice to say I didn't stay on hold waiting for longer than 15mins, don't really see why I should keep contacting you despite having 1) an open complaint that is over 3 months old and 2) you having confirmed there is an issue with your network. 

There is zero chance that I'm going to wait on hold for 1hr+ so thought I'd post here as a last resort. 

I wasn't going to bother referring my complaint to the ombudsman, but I probably will now given the debacle today which has seriously disrupted both my and my partner's ability to work from home. No doubt tomorrow will be the same given that nobody seems to be bothering to look into this.

EDITED to add that at least two of my neighbours in the same building confirmed to have the same issues at the same times that I do. 

26 REPLIES 26

jontym
On our wavelength

UPDATE! 

It seems after loads of hassle trying to escalate this, Virgin Media fixed it yesterday and from about 10.30am I had a perfect connection.

Unfortunately, this morning the packet loss is worse than it was before, looks like something happened at their end at about midnight, as you'll see from the quality graph.

Obviously at this level of unreliability, the internet is absolutely unusable.

They obviously found a problem of some sort on their network, wondering why their 'fix' hasn't lasted very long.

jontym
On our wavelength

Getting worse by the day. Not clear if anybody is looking into it or not. Will give it until Sunday evening after which I'll have to abandon Virgin Media as both the mrs & I can't work without a stable connection. No doubt they will try their hardest to charge me early termination fees.

jontym_3-1604134626517.png

You said earlier that others within the building were having problems, I would have spoken to all others to validate a general unsatisfactory level of service and contact Virgin individually to escalate the problem.
[Many voices carry more clout when having similar problem]

jontym
On our wavelength

We did that, and everybody had their complaints raised. Seems everybody else's connections are now stable leaving just mine broken. 

There's one cable entering the building from the street, which taps off to each apartment, so I suspect the issue is to do with the way our individual traffic is routed on the network (as an engineer has confirmed on site that there's no issue with my SuperHub etc etc, and as there has been the odd period of stability)

Looks like we need a VIP to bring this to the attention of a Virgin member, senior tech needed to go over the connection issues to the property.
Best of luck.

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

I have escalated to the VM forum team, one of the VM staff will be along in this thread to resolve it for you.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Good on ya Mike!

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello @BrianY 

Your welcome, if you have any more queries by all means come on back to the forum we do have a great team of VM staff members, VIPs and normal customers with a great deal of knowledge. Stay safe and have a great weekend.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Nobody has been in touch as yet.

Connection getting even worse.

Enough is enough, neither of us are going to be able to work from home with this from tomorrow, so have ordered a 4G router. The Virgin kit will be unceremoniously removed from my network as soon as it arrives. 

jontym_1-1604222269309.png

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Can take a day or two for a member to contact you, there is limited forum staff over the weekend.

Regards Mike