cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SH4 in modem mode 1Gbps gives 90Mbs

sandyb1984
On our wavelength

title really, got super hub 4 and upgraded to 1gig internet and getting 90Mbs speeds when I put it in modem mode, Modem mode is required as the WIFI signal doesnt reach my whole house. good service and set up I got (sarcasm)

I use an ASUS GT-AC5300 router set up with AI Mesh which was working fine on my old 350Mbs internet.

54 REPLIES 54

yeah, ill give it another couple of days, the wife really doesnt appreciate me faffing about with it anyways as she has a lot of important meetings.

QoS off for maybe an hour on my router, and its done it already

sandyb1984_0-1649365274951.png

Looks like @legacy1 might be right in that the port gets overloaded and falls over. im gonna replace the white Virgin ethernet cable to try a new 1 just incase, I do have about 500 spare from work 

sandyb1984_0-1649365723053.png

even the speed is higher with my own cables. so lets see how we do

Since leaving my own cables in with no QoS my internet has settled down yes, no drops to 90Mb

however still speed is not as advertised? is this getting ignored as it is above Virgins minimum guarantee of 500 and odd Mb on the 1Gb connection?

@sandyb1984 wrote:

Since leaving my own cables in with no QoS my internet has settled down yes, no drops to 90Mb

Thats good to hear now we just have to hope VM fix or remove code doing this

---------------------------------------------------------------

I have the same issue, which Ethernet lead did you change, hub to router?

Mine is a fairly cheap cat 7 flat type 

Posted in wrong place sorry!

sandyb1984
On our wavelength

I swapped out the white cat6 cable that virgin supplied with a cat5E patch lead from work.

It run from port 1 on virgin hub to wan port on router.

Still no improvement, will be looking to cancel the service tomorrow as it has failed to deliver consistently, spent more time arguing with the wife and kids about internet in last week and a half than virgin have spent testing their shoddy equipment and configuration files.

Hi sandyb1984,

I'm very sorry to hear you've seen no improvement in your broadband speeds, I can appreciate your frustrations with this.

Everything does appear to be OK on our end. Just to clarify, what sort of speeds have you been receiving since over a wired connection? You mentioned that things improved after using your own cables?

Thanks

Beth

sandyb1984
On our wavelength

Hi Beth,

It fluctuates between 300 and 700 on a direct cable.