Menu
Sifter
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

SH2 Connection woes and speed issues.

I'm wondering if one of you smart folk could shed some light on this: For the last few weeks my internet connection has been *awful*. I suspect something is happening to constantly cause the modem (I run the SH 2 in modem only mode) to reboot. My only actual evidence for this is because during the internet outages I'm unable to connect to the web interface of the modem.

When it comes back everything is fine, but it generally doesn't last for long until it 'dies' again. I've tolerated it thus far simply because a couple of days after it started happening I was out of the country for a few weeks, but now I'm back it has been a week of exactly the same thing. I'm including grabs of upstream, downstream and logs when it comes back up.

My personal suspicion is that my hardware is dying - it's old and has had a hard life, but perhaps it is something causing the reboots - if indeed that's what's going on.

Oh, and when I run a status check from the VM site, it usually informs me that they suspect my equipment isn't switched on....

Kind regards

log.PNGup.PNGdown.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Sifter
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: SH2 Connection woes and speed issues.

Not sure why those pics aren't showing up - maybe they just need time.  And when I say run a test on the VM site I mean from my phone 🙂

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

A more qualified superuser should comment soon - but the power levels of the 4 upstream channels are too high (out of recommended range 31-50 dBmV) - this is likely to be causing your "maintaining a connection" problems. The downstreams are in range but near the bottom too.
You will most likely need a technician visit to sort it out - either call it in as a fault and see if that works or wait on here for a day or two for a VM staff person to pick this up.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes your upstream power levels are too high, in fact if they rise to about 51dbmV it can cause the Hub to reboot itself to try to renegotiate a better connection. It’s probably these restarts that you are seeing.

The S/N ratio on the downstream is too low on the lower frequency channels, it all suggests a bad connection somewhere. Either call in and insist that they send an engineer out or just hold fire for a member of the forum team to find this thread and offer to contact you directly to arrange things.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sifter, 

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear this. 

I will private message you so I can look into this.

^Martin

0 Kudos