Menu
Rhaom
Joining in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Router needs reseting every 24 hours

I recently moved home and since doing so have had endless problems with my virgin broadband.

I come home from work on Monday and notice my internet lagging so I run a speed test and it shows me speeds of anywhere between 2-6mbps (I am paying for VIVID100). I ring virgin media and we going round in a giant circle of trying various settings that dont make any difference and then I am told to reset my router.

As soon as I reset my router my internet again runs at anywhere between 80-100mbps, which is great, the problem is that 24 hours later when I return home from work again I am in the same position as I was when I started, my internet is running at 2-6mbps again... Ring virgin media... going round the endless circle... reset the router.... you get the point!

This has been going on now for 3 weeks, reseting my router EVERY single evening that I get home from work just so I can get the speed that I pay for.

I have tried cat 5e, cat6 & cat7a Shielded Twisted Pair cabling and it makes no difference.

I even had a virgin media engineer come to my home and replace the satellite cable from the box on the wall to my router and put a signal amplifier in place to try and improve the service and still nothing.

My PC is connected via 2x Devolo DLAN 1200+ powerline adapters, I have tried connected my laptop directly to the wifi with it being the only device running on my network and I still only get 2-6mbps if I dont reset my router first.

When I rang yesterday and ask AGAIN what the heck is going on I was basically told that there is nothing Virgin Media can do and its just tough luck that I am not getting the service I am paying for... please help!

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router needs reseting every 24 hours

What if you don't reset but do a reboot?

0 Kudos
Rhaom
Joining in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I've just rebooted my router and its running at 50mbps, which is an awful lot better but still a good 30-40mbps less than I should be getting.

I'll have to wait till tomorrow to test if its made any stable difference!

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I'm wondering if VM do some type of temporary speed boost on reseting or rebooting the hub and it might be that too many people in your area are reseting or rebooting their hubs to get better speeds in speed tests and downloads.
0 Kudos
Rhaom
Joining in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I would understand this if it was once or twice, but every 24 hours for 3 weeks?

I don't think thats feasible

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried resetting it this way ? Do a pinhole reset to factory settings. Push in the pin on the back/side/bottom of the Hub with the end of a paperclip until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold for a "timed" 60 seconds do NOT restart the router after that.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Rhaom
Joining in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Yes, that is what I mean when I say reset.

Using the pin button on the back and going back to factory settings and I have to do it every 24 hours.

Just as an update, when i checked my internet speed this morning it was at 110mbps for about 5 minutes and then dropped straight back down to 7mbps and right now its at 9mbps.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I dont think you have actually said, what model of Hub is it ?  Also have you run the speedtest at speedtest.net whilst the Hub is in modem mode and the laptop/pc is booted up in safe mode on a clean install of a different browser (Firefox? Opera?)?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labeled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

Tony
0 Kudos
Rhaom
Joining in
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Its the Hub 3.0 (VMDG505).

speedtest.net is indeed what I am using to perform the speed tests, as for safe mode, no I not yet tested that.

I can switch the router to modem mode now though and then try in safemode.

0 Kudos