cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Review my speeds + router status

ItsMyVMService
Tuning in

Hi,

Can I get an opinion on my speeds and router status? For reference my broadband package is: M500 Fibre Broadband.

This was fine until O2 moved me into Volt, I'm now below 300mbps previously on 300Mbps I was getting 340-400Mbps down, O2 moved me to 500 and I now struggle to get 300.

My router gets about 40-70c operating temperature (the room is around 18-19c)

Speedtests:
In-game latency 40-120ms.

Spoiler
vmspeeds.png

Is this all okay/good? VM was meant to do work outside due to a faulty cable about 2 years ago but never carried it out (did turn up in a van but didn't get out - rain put the engineer off? Who knows).

--------------------------------------------------
Virgin Media Gig1 w/ Super Hub 5

My Broadband Ping - Home Broadband Connection
71 REPLIES 71

Hi,

Yep. Still getting latency spikes, slow speeds (sometimes less than 100Mbps down 15Mbps up at like 3am where I'd expect the opposite).

BQM still high on the yellow chart, although admittedly I don't understand the graph 100% just based on seeing other people's BQMs on here mine seems a little more wild.

I struggle to playback Twitch|YouTube (non stop buffering and dropping).

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/82c9203f7a7417c41ce7fa89f68ce9cddcca52d6

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.pngScreenshot_3.pngScreenshot_4.pngScreenshot_5.png

Great day. 

Screenshot_6.png

Setup QoS/BWM correctly then blame VM
---------------------------------------------------------------

@legacy1 I don't use QoS anymore.

Even when setup "correctly" it makes it worse. Tried both ASUS's QoS and FlexQoS. Manual and Auto values using SpdMerlin.

VM rep also advised against QoS due to 500Mbps or higher. Unless I have a VOIP / high priority device.

21ms / +293ms / +35ms BUFFERBLOAT GRADE C Your latency increased considerably under load. Read about how to fix bufferbloat issues.

I've an AmpliFi Alien kit arriving Tuesday (19th).

Hi ItsMyVMService

Thanks for getting back to us and providing the information and BQM's.

I've checked your account and live report again today and there does appear to be an error showing which we have been unable to remotely fix. 

has your new equipment arrived or have you made any changes from your side? 

Thanks 

Nat

Hi @Natalie_L

Not yet! It's due to arrive tomorrow I believe (according to the VM tracking page) using self-install (swap for swap). Will report. I've 14 days cooling off period starting the day it arrives.

Good evening all,

New Hub 4 arrived today. Installed. BQM IP updated.

Live graph:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/82c9203f7a7417c41ce7fa89f68ce9cddc...

Will give the BQM a few days (got 14 days cooling off period) and report back in a couple of days.

Hi ItsMyVMservice, 

Thanks for letting us know you have received the equipment and for providing the BQM link.

How have things been since your last post to us? Have you noticed any improvements? 

Thanks 

Nat

Hi Natalie_L,

I'm still getting some latency spikes, not as many as previous. Peaking high at around 217ms at times.

Download speed sometimes lucky to get 200Mbps. Upload seems fine lately getting the package speed (45-52Mbps).

Last I heard from VM engineer that visited me previously was I would benefit a "repull" (whatever this means - no clue!) but not something he deals with. I'm within my Gig1 cooling off period currently.

BUFFERBLOAT: C
Results: https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=914a3c18-dd5a-48da-b980-b46726c10b15

BQM in signature and linked above.

Run the bufferbloat test with just a PC connected to the hub in modem mode with a CMD open running ping -t 194.168.4.100

---------------------------------------------------------------