cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Review my speeds + router status

ItsMyVMService
Tuning in

Hi,

Can I get an opinion on my speeds and router status? For reference my broadband package is: M500 Fibre Broadband.

This was fine until O2 moved me into Volt, I'm now below 300mbps previously on 300Mbps I was getting 340-400Mbps down, O2 moved me to 500 and I now struggle to get 300.

My router gets about 40-70c operating temperature (the room is around 18-19c)

Speedtests:
In-game latency 40-120ms.

Spoiler
vmspeeds.png

Is this all okay/good? VM was meant to do work outside due to a faulty cable about 2 years ago but never carried it out (did turn up in a van but didn't get out - rain put the engineer off? Who knows).

--------------------------------------------------
Virgin Media Gig1 w/ Super Hub 5

My Broadband Ping - Home Broadband Connection
71 REPLIES 71

Hi ItsMyVMService, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

I've checked the BQM this morning and it's not looking as good as it could be. 

I've had a look at things this end and all your power and signal levels are optimal. Nothing appears to be out of the ordinary. Usually when an engineer believes a repull is needed, this is raised at their end with their manager. It can take some time to sort out but there are no notes this end to say this has been done. 

Due to this, I would like to arrange for an engineer to come back out to determine if a repull is needed. If it is, they can then raise this up further for you. I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for getting in touch, Kath. I've replied to the direct message!

Yeah it did indeed seem odd nothing was booked, maybe he misjudged or forgot? He just got in the van and drove off - I still had questions. I did complain about the engineer that visited but that went ignored as never heard back from VM at least anyway.

Tried to imply I wasn't getting my speeds due my shielded CAT 6 can't handle 500Mbps speeds. It can and he wasn't happy with my response probably assumed I'd not know (lol) but cat 6 is fine for approx. 100 meters (328 ft) and mine is only approx. 4ft. It's since been replaced with shielded CAT 7 anyway.

Plan to replace everything shortly, got a 100m reel on the way.

Plus whenever I talk to VM on WhatsApp the bot likes to "timeout" If I don't reply within 5 minutes despite the bot saying "replies might not be immediate" but once VM message I'm then expected to reply instantly. Took me 11 attempts to get my Gig1 deal/offer. Bot restarts.

12:09 - I get a reply. 12:11 "We haven't heard from you in a while" convo's closed and have to began all over again with the BOT and wait in a queue. 

This is despite VM "Please be aware replies to this service are not immediate allowing you to get on with your day" but when it's my turn I get 2 minutes to respond (confused)..

Thanks.

PS: This is todays.
PPS: Why is the red floating at the top is this a bug with TB/BQM?

VM_BQM.png

Thanks for coming back to us @ItsMyVMService.

I have looked into this and cannot see any issues that would be causing these problems. How has your connection been running since you last posted?

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi @Steven_L,

Still seeing high latency when gaming plus the odd buffering watching videos (ITV Hub, BBC iPlayer, Twitch, YouTube). Not a Netflix member so haven't tried that.

I'm still using Hub 4 in router mode. Haven't gone back to my own router yet to allow troubleshooting with you guys.

Just ran a speed test (wired) It's 12:43am:
Screenshot_9.png

SamKnows real speed [to Hub 4] is giving 128Mbps upload seems fine 57.7 to Hub. NaN ms latency, 1.24 Jitter, 0.61% packet loss.
SamKnows real speed [to computer] 94.0Mbps down, 47.1 up, 18.0ms latency, 4.54 Jitter, n/a% packet loss.

Latest BQMs:

Screenshot_10.pngScreenshot_11.pngScreenshot_12.png

Speeds seem normal again. 824.82 Mbps down, 45.55Mbps up. Just the BQM.. this good? bad? awful? High yellow, red appearing above (means?).

Screenshot_1.png

Thanks for coming back to us @ItsMyVMService.

I'm glad that your connection is back to the normal speeds, most of the day looks good apart from the evening and 8pm onwards.

I will pass this onto the networks team to look into as I cannot see any issues with your connection and in the local area.

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi @Steven_L

Seems to be a network thing for Virgin Media? https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/9205-latency-issues-persist-for-virgin-media-network

Including mentioning Call of Duty (same issue as me) and streaming sites.

Yes, we're all getting that 'evening hump' and lost packets.  Nothing that we can do until VM pull their fingers out.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Looking a little wild today?

Screenshot_1.png