cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular latency spikes

Ethan_Lister
Tuning in

Hi,

I've had an ongoing issue with regular latency spikes for months. I've included a BQM below showing the issue. For the time being I am unable to provide hub stats, apologies.

Ethan_Lister_0-1651595284751.png

Recently, this stopped happening briefly as seen from the screenshot on the 14th of April below:

Ethan_Lister_0-1651595493041.png

However, now the latency spikes are back, and for some reason there is now a problem with service between about 19:45pm and 22:00pm. Below are some consecutive days in late April.

Ethan_Lister_1-1651595682873.png

Ethan_Lister_2-1651595716783.png

Ethan_Lister_3-1651595730103.png

Ethan_Lister_4-1651595740184.png

Ethan_Lister_5-1651595750896.png

Sadly, some days even look like this:

Ethan_Lister_0-1651596212859.png

Ethan_Lister_1-1651596221186.png

Ethan_Lister_2-1651596227412.png

While I'm aware of, and expect, the latency spikes at this point, the graphs you see here are absolutely not normal.

This is obviously not a usable service, and I would like the problem to be resolved as soon as possible. 

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The regular latency spike are probably to do with the hourly speedtests that some VM Hub's do - others can comment

The evening disruption has been ongoing for a while and is affecting the whole network - see this for the whole story....

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/VM-CORE-NETWORK-FAILURE-URGANT/td-p/4986440

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your reply, I've read through some of that thread and the original post on thinkbroadband. Very disappointing. Time to play the waiting game I suppose.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Ethan_Lister

Welcome back to the community!

Sorry to hear that you're currently experiencing latency issues on your service. There is an area fault open in your area at this time, the outage number is F009814009. You might find that you don't have any Virgin Fibre, Voice, or Interactive Virgin TV services at the moment. We are sorry about this and are working hard to restore your services as soon as possible. The current estimated end date and time is 7th May 2022 at 03:15am. You should be able to see this information via our service checker site and your My Virgin Media app or online account. 

Once the outage looks resolved, please reboot your services and let us know if you are having any further issues. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Thanks for your reply.

Service came back online on the 7th as predicted. I've recently learned that the latency spikes are from hourly SamKnows speed tests on the Hub4 and are nothing to worry about. The service was fine for the two days after it came back, but since then there's been some minor but consistent packet loss the last two days.

Here is the graph just after the connection came back:

Ethan_Lister_0-1652257602019.png

And here is the graph in the last day:

Ethan_Lister_1-1652257668538.png

You may have to enlarge the image, but at the top there's small amounts of packet loss fairly often.

I know this doesn't seem like much, but its often noticeable when playing games.

What are my options to resolve this?

Hi Ethan_Lister, 

We can look at getting someone out to check all connections eternally and internally if you like? 

Gareth_L

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

If the packet loss is that small might be hard to find.

I guess you could run a ping -t to 194.168.4.100 you can press CTRL + pause to see if it dropped any 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Ethan_lister

Thanks for posting on our community forum

How has your connection been since your last post? Have you noticed any improvement?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. The connection has been behaving itself recently, I was waiting to see if there would be more issues before replying to your colleague, but so far all good. For now I don't think further action is necessary.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for the update @Ethan_Lister.

Let us know if anything changes.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide