cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduction in bb speed

debond55
Joining in

Since the 18th Aug 2021 my bb speed has gone from 200 mbps to approx 48 on download plus on upload from 20 mbps to 10, has anybody had similar?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It was all sorted out. Virgin BB had a problem in my area on 16 Aug, was fixed later in day, what I forgot 2 do was cut mains for 20 seconds, once I did this my speed came straight back

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is it the same on both wifi and ethernet cable connections?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Yes, I have had a similar speed drop, but the causes of my problem are unlikely to be the same as yours.  So, you've tried a restart of the hub?  You've checked that any coax cables in the property are securely terminated, and securing nuts done up finger tight?

JB has asked if this is wifi or cabled because the fault finding goes in different directions depending on the answer.  I tend to blame the broadband (VM cable) side of things more readily than wifi, because it seems to me that in about three quarters of cases of sudden speed problems it is a broadband fault - but bear in mind that is a generalisation, and we haven't ruled out a wifi issue.

Can you do the following for me:  Connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log in subsequent replies.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.  If this sounds complicated, don't worry, you're only looking at the status data, there's nothing that can be messed up by accident, just take it one step at a time.

Hi debond55, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your speeds. 

Our diagnostics on your home network and Hub have not found any issues that could account for connection issues. All power levels are at optimal levels, I'm not seeing any errors and there are no open faults in your area either.
As suggested by Andrew above, please make sure the coaxial cable is tight at the box as well as the back of the hub. 

Please ensure the speed test is being run on a PC/Laptop that is connected via a cat 6e minimum spec ethernet cable as well as there being a 1G network card. 

If the speeds are still low, reboot the PC/Laptop in to safe mode with networking and try again. 

Let us know the result 🙂

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

It was all sorted out. Virgin BB had a problem in my area on 16 Aug, was fixed later in day, what I forgot 2 do was cut mains for 20 seconds, once I did this my speed came straight back