cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recurring Slow Speed

H1037593
On our wavelength

For months now I have been experiencing regular periods of very slow speed broadband (less than 8mbps download on a M100). These periods happen at different times of the day, with no warning and mean that video calls drop out and streaming crashes. If the issues sometimes resolve themselves after 5-10 mins but when the don’t they can be sorted by rebooting my router. 

I’ve tried moving my router and resetting it but the problems continue to occur. I’ve tried contacting Virgin by phone but they just reboot the rooter remotely and it solves the immediate issue but they just reoccur. Virgin’s customer services team don’t seem interested in helping solve the problem properly, probably due to the fact that Virgin are the only provider of cable broadband on our street so they have a monopoly and don’t care about solving my issue as I’m likely to stay anyway. 

Does anyone have any ideas of how I could solve these problems please?

34 REPLIES 34

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us @H1037593 

We would not suspend your payments, whilst there are some issues with utilisation, the services is usable, as per our compensation policy we would only compensate for complete loss of service. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

H1037593
On our wavelength

Can I leave my contract early due to your failure to deliver what I signed up for?

Hi @H1037593,

If you wish to discuss cancellation then you will need to reach out to our retentions department by calling 150 (free of charge) from a Virgin Media landline, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone. They will be able to advise you of your options along with any early disconnection fees.

If you don't wish to call, you can find all of our other contact information detailed on our Contact Us page on our website.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

@H1037593 wrote:

Can I leave my contract early due to your failure to deliver what I signed up for?

Yes.  Sometimes VM see sense and will release you without a fuss, sometimes they refuse, and have to have their hand forced.  If it's the latter, then it takes time, but costs the company far more.   As a start, phone up, select options for "about my account" and "thinking of leaving", politely explain the situation (politeness is important if you need to escalate the matter to arbitration), and ask to be released immediately and without penalty.  I'd say chance are low that they'll agree, but if they do that's quickest and easiest.  DO NOT PAY AN EARLY DISCONNECTION CHARGE, and DO NOT STOP YOUR PAYMENTS.  If, as is often the case "computer says no" when you ask to be released without penalty, then you need to follow up on your complaint that I believe has already been started.

Be aware that your case for release from contract isn't under VM's T&Cs, or speed guarantees, it is under both UK consumer law, and commitments that VM have made to the regulator:

1. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 that requires any consumer service to be provided with "reasonable skill and care", and clearly over-selling so that you network runs out of capacity is neither skilful, nor careful.  The proposed remedial date (which in any event routinely get pushed back, as a search of the forum will show) also fails the test of reasonable care.  VM's policies, T&Cs and so forth don't make a jot of difference here, statute law can't be circumvented by contractual terms.
  2. Additionally, Virgin Media are signed up to the Ofcom Fairness Commitments.  In particular, the commitment: "Customers’ services work as promised, reliably over time. If things go wrong providers give a prompt response to fix problems and take appropriate action to help their customers, which may include providing compensation where relevant. If providers can’t fix problems with core services they have promised to deliver within a reasonable period, customers can walk away from their contract with no penalty."  Note that this isn't the same as the weaselly minimum speed guarantee that VM offer, it is a promise made by the company to the regulator Ofcom.

If VM continue to maintain that you won't be released from contract, and they are not going to fix a problem caused by the company's choices, until August (and possibly later, possibly never), then you need to escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS, who work much like the energy ombudsman.  Don't expect much from formally complaining directly to VM, but you have to do that before you can approach CISAS.  If the formal complaint to VM doesn't get a prompt and satisfactory outcome, then you either need to demand a "deadlock letter" which enables you to immediately approach CISAS, or you have to wait eight weeks from the date of your first complaint.  

If this goes to CISAS, ask for compensation for the poor service, for the poor support, any complaint handling, any rudeness, wasted time or inconvenience caused, release from contract without penalty, and that release without penalty financially backdated to the date you first brought the problem to the company's attention. 

Perhaps the forum staff would like to grease a few wheels here, to avoid a complaint to CISAS?

H1037593
On our wavelength

Thanks @Andrew-G that’s really informative and helpful. I completely agree that over prioritisation of new customers signups to a point where your network can’t fulfil the basic demand of exiting ones is neither skilful or careful!

H1037593
On our wavelength

Rather unsurprisingly, the timeline Virgin Media gave for fixing this problem has now passed and I’m still getting the same problems.  Most of the time my connection is fine but then the whole network goes down with no internet access across any devices. A router restart seems to solve the problem but it’s not really practical to do that 5 or 6 times on a problem day. Given the long history of these problems and your failure to correct them, can you now looking into them a little bit more throughly please Virgin Media? 

H1037593
On our wavelength

@Zak_M, @Zach_R or Sophia_B any ideas? Same loss of service again tonight. 

Hi H1037593,

Thanks for coming back to us. 

Apologies it's not sorted. From a system check, we can see the following; 

There is congestion in your area and the reference is F008896596. The estimated fix date is the 4th October.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

H1037593
On our wavelength

Thanks @John_GS for coming back to me. It’s the 4th October today and the problems persist. Unable to use the internet much tonight due to very slow speeds across all devices and connections. Do you have any update on the likely fix date please? 

@H1037593 if you (or any other reader) have got a decent record of serially missed fix dates in relation to over-utilisation, I'd be pleased to have full details for a little "project" I have in mind.  It won't result in any quick fix for your problem, but if successful it may at least start to force VM to behave transparently about these matters, rather than plucking made up "fix dates" out of their corporate fundament.