Menu
Type_r
Tuning in
Message 1 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Real slow down with VPN

Hi guys

I had VM installed 2 days ago and really stuggling with getting my VPN to work at any speed that is useable. 

My setup: 

SH3 - Modem mode connected via ethernet to my Asus N66U

I am on the 300/20 package and getting about 350/20 wired without the VPN on. WIth the VPN on the fastest I have seen is 30/10!! 

I am using NordVPN which I was using with BT before (easily used to get 40/10 on a 55/10 connection) and had no issues at all. The speed of everything is ultra slow once the VPN is on, with it off I get the speeds I should. NordVPN are scratching their heads about why the speed is so slow and I think VM are just throttling my speeds - despite it stating clearly that the 300/20 package is not throttled. 

These speeds have been tested on 3 computers (2 PCs and 1 MAC) and both wired and wireless. Any help please? 

At this rate...it won't be worth sticking with the 300/20 and I shall go back to BT!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
chriscdotcodot
Dialled in
Message 27 of 37
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Real slow down with VPN

Seems that windows 10 has done this to you. It has done the same to me. I fixed it by the following:

Go to Start, type cmd, right-click the Command Prompt entry and select Run as administrator.
Click OK the UAC prompt.
In the window, type-   netsh interface tcp show global
Look for Receive Windows Auto-Tuning Level. If it says Normal that means it’s running.

You can try disabling it to see if it’s the cause of the problems with your internet speed. To do this type netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled into the command prompt and hit enter. I had to do this.

Once the feature is disabled, try using your internet connection again and see if that’s fixed the problem. If it hasn’t, or things are actually worse, then you should re-enable it by doing the following:

In the command prompt, type netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal and hit enter.

As said, your stats look fine, the speed looks fine and your vpn speeds look great. You just seem to be suffering with single thread speed issues down to an issue with windows 10.

All Replies
ankh
Joining in
Message 2 of 37
Flag for a moderator

I have no answers as I'm not yet a customer - I'm just roaming these boards as part of my due diligence.

However, I am curious to understand if VM(B?) are throttling VPN as this would be (another) black mark along with the static IP Speed issues. From your description they may be - I don't suppose you've tried with another VPN provider to see if it's 'just' NordVPN this happens with?
0 Kudos
Type_r
Tuning in
Message 3 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Just tried Tunnel Bear...speedtest wouldn't even connect!

This is clearly VM throttling VPN connections. I think I am about to exercise my right to leave within 2 weeks of getting the service!

0 Kudos
Type_r
Tuning in
Message 4 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Decided to repeat the same test on Sky Unlimited Fibre Max (at my parents house!) 80/20 over wireless.

Without VPN: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6864415268

With VPN: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6864422195

It would be nice if someone from VM could get in touch to try and sort out what is going on. When max download on Sky that I get is 8 mb/s and on VM (which is supposed to be about 4 times faster) is only 13 mb/s something is clearly wrong!

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Tuning in
Message 5 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Type_r wrote:

Hi guys

I had VM installed 2 days ago and really stuggling with getting my VPN to work at any speed that is useable. 

My setup: 

SH3 - Modem mode connected via ethernet to my Asus N66U

I am on the 300/20 package and getting about 350/20 wired without the VPN on. WIth the VPN on the fastest I have seen is 30/10!! 

I am using NordVPN which I was using with BT before (easily used to get 40/10 on a 55/10 connection) and had no issues at all. The speed of everything is ultra slow once the VPN is on, with it off I get the speeds I should. NordVPN are scratching their heads about why the speed is so slow and I think VM are just throttling my speeds - despite it stating clearly that the 300/20 package is not throttled. 

These speeds have been tested on 3 computers (2 PCs and 1 MAC) and both wired and wireless. Any help please? 

At this rate...it won't be worth sticking with the 300/20 and I shall go back to BT!

That's rather dramatic don't you think? I am on AirVPN and I max out my 300 connection, Your VPN provider is much easier to replace then your ISP!

Try a free 7 day trial of Astrill, and then you will see what I mean! 

0 Kudos
Type_r
Tuning in
Message 6 of 37
Flag for a moderator

It isn't dramatic at all...I am well within my cooling off period and changing my ISP back to something that works is as easy as a click on their website (unless you are suggesting VM are going to put barriers up to stop me leaving - which they cannot do legally). 

You are assuming that the VPN is the problem at not being able to provide a fast enough server, despite the results above on Sky suggesting that the servers can easily handle 80/20 (which is a multitude faster than what I can connect with on VM). 

I have tried ExpressVPN (the fastest VPN around) and no difference, so the problem is with VM not the VPN provider. I'll try Astrill and post the results. 

0 Kudos
SouthWaleschris
Rising star
Message 7 of 37
Flag for a moderator

VM are doing something to VPNs.  I use Private internet access and noticed a major slowdown in VPN performance over past few weeks.

Where ever you maybe.... Let your wind go free!

"So in retrospect the best cable to get is cat6e"
0 Kudos
jhuk
Super solver
Message 8 of 37
Flag for a moderator

NordVPN is ok for me and obv a VPN will be slower than no VPN and depending on where I am connecting to.

Vivid 350Mb/s and connected to Norway (my default as its fast to load webpages))and leaving server to auto on Speedtest.net I hit 200Mb/s, fell in last few secs to 150Mb/s

0 Kudos
Type_r
Tuning in
Message 9 of 37
Flag for a moderator

As I have said above, it is expected that about 30% speed loss will occur when using a VPN, that is normal. But when you are getting 380/20 wired without a VPN and it goes down to 11/10 with a VPN then something is not right. 

Thank you for letting me know the NordVPN does get you a rate of upto 150....I shall see if I can tweak to achieve similar results. 

0 Kudos
Type_r
Tuning in
Message 10 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Anyone on VIVID 350 can you advise on what download speeds you are getting please [No VPN] (just a big file like itunes). I seem to max out at about 10-12 mb/s which by my reckoning does not correspond to the 380 mbits/s on the speedtest. On Sky at 80/20 I get 8 mb/s downloads...so I should be getting about 35 mb/s downloads on 350/20.

0 Kudos