Menu
Type_r
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Real slow down with VPN

Hi guys

I had VM installed 2 days ago and really stuggling with getting my VPN to work at any speed that is useable. 

My setup: 

SH3 - Modem mode connected via ethernet to my Asus N66U

I am on the 300/20 package and getting about 350/20 wired without the VPN on. WIth the VPN on the fastest I have seen is 30/10!! 

I am using NordVPN which I was using with BT before (easily used to get 40/10 on a 55/10 connection) and had no issues at all. The speed of everything is ultra slow once the VPN is on, with it off I get the speeds I should. NordVPN are scratching their heads about why the speed is so slow and I think VM are just throttling my speeds - despite it stating clearly that the 300/20 package is not throttled. 

These speeds have been tested on 3 computers (2 PCs and 1 MAC) and both wired and wireless. Any help please? 

At this rate...it won't be worth sticking with the 300/20 and I shall go back to BT!

0 Kudos
ankh
Joining in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Real slow down with VPN

I have no answers as I'm not yet a customer - I'm just roaming these boards as part of my due diligence.

However, I am curious to understand if VM(B?) are throttling VPN as this would be (another) black mark along with the static IP Speed issues. From your description they may be - I don't suppose you've tried with another VPN provider to see if it's 'just' NordVPN this happens with?
0 Kudos
Type_r
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just tried Tunnel Bear...speedtest wouldn't even connect!

This is clearly VM throttling VPN connections. I think I am about to exercise my right to leave within 2 weeks of getting the service!

0 Kudos
Type_r
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Decided to repeat the same test on Sky Unlimited Fibre Max (at my parents house!) 80/20 over wireless.

Without VPN: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6864415268

With VPN: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6864422195

It would be nice if someone from VM could get in touch to try and sort out what is going on. When max download on Sky that I get is 8 mb/s and on VM (which is supposed to be about 4 times faster) is only 13 mb/s something is clearly wrong!

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Type_r wrote:

Hi guys

I had VM installed 2 days ago and really stuggling with getting my VPN to work at any speed that is useable. 

My setup: 

SH3 - Modem mode connected via ethernet to my Asus N66U

I am on the 300/20 package and getting about 350/20 wired without the VPN on. WIth the VPN on the fastest I have seen is 30/10!! 

I am using NordVPN which I was using with BT before (easily used to get 40/10 on a 55/10 connection) and had no issues at all. The speed of everything is ultra slow once the VPN is on, with it off I get the speeds I should. NordVPN are scratching their heads about why the speed is so slow and I think VM are just throttling my speeds - despite it stating clearly that the 300/20 package is not throttled. 

These speeds have been tested on 3 computers (2 PCs and 1 MAC) and both wired and wireless. Any help please? 

At this rate...it won't be worth sticking with the 300/20 and I shall go back to BT!

That's rather dramatic don't you think? I am on AirVPN and I max out my 300 connection, Your VPN provider is much easier to replace then your ISP!

Try a free 7 day trial of Astrill, and then you will see what I mean! 

0 Kudos
Type_r
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It isn't dramatic at all...I am well within my cooling off period and changing my ISP back to something that works is as easy as a click on their website (unless you are suggesting VM are going to put barriers up to stop me leaving - which they cannot do legally). 

You are assuming that the VPN is the problem at not being able to provide a fast enough server, despite the results above on Sky suggesting that the servers can easily handle 80/20 (which is a multitude faster than what I can connect with on VM). 

I have tried ExpressVPN (the fastest VPN around) and no difference, so the problem is with VM not the VPN provider. I'll try Astrill and post the results. 

0 Kudos
SouthWaleschris
Rising star
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

VM are doing something to VPNs.  I use Private internet access and noticed a major slowdown in VPN performance over past few weeks.

Where ever you maybe.... Let your wind go free!

"So in retrospect the best cable to get is cat6e"
0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

NordVPN is ok for me and obv a VPN will be slower than no VPN and depending on where I am connecting to.

Vivid 350Mb/s and connected to Norway (my default as its fast to load webpages))and leaving server to auto on Speedtest.net I hit 200Mb/s, fell in last few secs to 150Mb/s

0 Kudos
Type_r
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As I have said above, it is expected that about 30% speed loss will occur when using a VPN, that is normal. But when you are getting 380/20 wired without a VPN and it goes down to 11/10 with a VPN then something is not right. 

Thank you for letting me know the NordVPN does get you a rate of upto 150....I shall see if I can tweak to achieve similar results. 

0 Kudos