cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real slow but faster using a vpn

rcnorton
Tuning in

Hello all,

I wonder if any of the smart folks here could help with an issue I have at present.

I have the gig package with a hub 4 connected via Cat6 to the hub directly. I'm getting 1.26 Mbps down and 52.07 Mbps up. If I then connect to my VPN, in this case Nord, I get 515 Mbps down, 50 Mbps up, not quite the speed I'm paying for but better than 1.26 for sure.

For clarity I use this pc for work, I cannot use Nord and the company VPN together.

I've had three technicians visit, countless support calls going through the script and I have no resolution. The router has been reset twice today, I've rebooted 5 times so far but this seems to be getting worse, could anybody please help me out in any way?

19 REPLIES 19

Hi,

So in my case would be fair to say I'm being actively throttled by Virgin to the extreme?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

That's extremely unlikely.

Was this happening when the technicians were there? What did they say? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Tbh the technicians simply checked all cables, even back to the pit, reset the hub, ran a speed test, noted it was poor and then pretty much gave up saying call Virgin again if the issue persists.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

There doesn't seem much point in checking cables or signal levels, since you are getting good speeds with the VPN running.

I'm wondering if this could be a DNS problem, since that will be different with the VPN running. Can you set your PC etc to use a different DNS, like Google or OpenDNS? 

When you get that very slow speedtest are you doing so through the company VPN?

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

I get the very slow speeds on all of my devices when not connected via Nord, the company VPN doesn't seem to affect this too much although it is a little slower, around 10%

I've just set two different PC's, both wired to the router to use Open DNS, my company pc sets a specific DNS when I connect to the company VPN. No difference to the speeds on either pc to note. If on my gaming pc I connect to Nord I get 255 Mbps down currently, better but not even close to what I'm paying for.

I've also tried a laptop connected via 5 Ghz Wifi, speed is 5 Mbps down 50 up, on Nord, 67 down, 45 up so something is clearly amiss with my connection.

No-one so far has been able to help me why this is happening and why the speeds have tanked without a VPN, I can only there assume throttling based on my very limited knowledge.

This has been going on since mid January this year when I upgraded, I've spoken to Virgin yet again, gone through the testing and finally they have agreed to replace the router but I'm not at all confident it will fix the issue, time will tell I guess.

Again I very much appreciate all help & advice given...

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Can you put the VM hub into modem mode, just one PC connected and do a speed test with that? 

- jpeg1

Alrighty...

Modem mode enabled, 1 Pc connected via Cable, no VPN connected, 5.95 down, 51.45 up...

Company VPN connected (no Nord) 8.97 down, 51.4 up...

Nord VPN connected, 611 down, 50.2 up...

Just where is Scooby-Doo when you need him, I'm sure he'd have this solved in no time 😉

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

So it's not related to the router part of the Hub, or the WAN IP.  It would be good to replace the Hub, but how it could be doing this I really don't know. 

I expect there will be others puzzling about this right now, I'll be as keen to hear their suggestions as you... 

- jpeg1

Anonymous
Not applicable

"I have the gig package with a hub 4 connected via Cat6 to the hub directly."

What does this mean please? Do you have the Hub 4 in modem mode connected to your own router? What router?