cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hub 5 upgrade…. Only had hub 4 8 days

gsudhi
Joining in

I recently moved to Virgin media from Sky for better broadband speed. I rang up Virgin looking for the 1Gig deal and I was told that I am opting for their top package. However I made the order online and I was sent a Hub 4 instead of a Hub 5. I am disappointed as I dont get the bandwidth or reach of wifi in to the far corners of the first floor. One of the reasons for moving to Virgin was to enjoy the benefits of Wifi 6 which Hub 5 supports. 

I rang up customer service to request the change to Hub 5 but I get thrown from one person to another and with no joy from multiple representatives. Really disappointed that they are offering me 2 wifi smart hubs to improve the range of the Hub 5. 

I hope Virgin media starts supplying appropriate equipment to customers who really need a faster broadband service with longer reach. 

10 REPLIES 10

jem101
Superstar

@gsudhi and what makes you think that the WiFi on the Hub 5 is any better than that on the 4?

In fact if you have a browse through some of the posts by users who have the 5 and are complaining about WiFi issues with it, it may help to temper your disappointment.

Firstly the WiFi 'Pods' which VM supply and as a Gig One Customer, you are entitled to have for free; don't currently work with the 5, neither does the telephony service - so if you have the VM phone service connected via the hub, then that's a bit of a show-stopper.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ahh the good old trials equipment.  Users should be made aware of the status of the Hub 5 before issuing to them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi gsudhi, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that you were unaware of which Hub you would be getting. 

As it stands, the Hub 5 is in a phased rollout and on offer to selected existing customers. The Hub isn't on offer to new customers for now. 

You can read more information about it here

In terms of optimising your connection, these links will help you to do that:

Keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

What is your expert opinion... is a Hub 5 worse than Hub 4?

I had made call to a Virgin media sales person to find out about what is on offer with the Gig1 package and I was told that I would be eligible for a Hub 5 should I take up the Gig1 package as it is the top package.
However, I couldn't make the order with the sales person who promised this as I had to get back to my then provider to request a termination before I make an order with VM.
I made the order for VM online after cancelling my broadband with previous provider, and unfortunately VM send me a Hub 4 which now seems to be broken, and I am without broadband service at home!!!
I am also told that a service outage in my area and work started on 24 December and was to be completed today, however it is still not completed and it is only expected to be complete by 31 Dec!!!!

If you have the choice I think the Hub4 is a better option currently.

@gsudhi wrote:

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@gsudhi wrote:

Be assured, you want a Hub 4 in preference to a Hub 5.  That might change as the firmware problems of the Hub 5 get sorted, but experience says that could be about two years hence.  

jhuk
Trouble shooter

And by then VM may have a WIFI 6E HUB just after the first WIFI 7 devices appear. 😁

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

And none of them will work properly when they first appear.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.