cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick tip I've just found for ethernet... :-) "Power saving" detriments speed...!

NealSullivan
Superfast

I've been massively happy for a good long while with the reliability of my connection, but would always like a bit more speed... The speed-checker reading would float up and down giving an average of OK proportions but not 300... My dot1ac connection always has been brilliant..

Everything is in modem mode with a Netgear in for the routing..

Then today I found playing with Jumbo packets settings really help (on a 10year old-ish laptop cabled in 30cm from the modem/router... The tester nicely sits at 300, perfect...

The machine that had "wavy" results I found that some Intel NICs have a "green ethernet" (presumably low-power setting).   Switching it off bought the full 300 on that machine too..

Just thought I'd get it out there!!
🙂 x 2^10
NEAL

5 REPLIES 5

NealSullivan
Superfast
today, 660 Mbit!!!!

I disabled Receive-side-scaling (RSS) on the ethernet and we've got even more speed!!
SUPERB!!!
So network-card-settings, that's ALL POWER SAVING disable, RSS disabled, and jumbo-packets.!!
WOW. that's the 660 I've seen on the config-file name living up to it's filename
🙂
NEAL

@Delores487
Yeah nice one, nice link I'd think I'll keep an eye out for it..

I've got plenty of scope to test here chez-Neal.. So anything I find'll go in here... I bet modems have been blamed for all sorts of local issues... Even if it is plugged in by ethernet, not nescessarily gonna be the best..

Our modem5 goes straight into a Netgear.. That goes through a Windows Server that does security and RRAS, a good 10 year old i5 laptop)

And I get 660...

Wow what a world!
NEAL 🙂

@Delores487

I'm  happy at this..!

NealSullivan_0-1652694123497.png

😕

Hi Neal, thank you for reaching out and posting some tips on using the ethernet cable. Our wonderful members will find this information very useful. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?