Menu
blue166
Superfast
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Questions about DOCSIS 3.1 and Over Utilisation...

Hi VM,

I have some questions as stated in my subject.

Can I find out when my area will be DOCSIS 3.1 ready?

Also I read somewhere that even on the 500mb service you can request a HUB4 due to issues with HUB3 and also if your area is prone to Over utilisation. Is that true? Can you just request HUB4 anyways for more channels to connect to for more bandwidth? 

Also what does DOCSIS 3.1 do for an area that has been crippled by over utilisation in the past/present?

Also what does VM do to ensure local connections do not suffer from over utilisation these days? I had serious issues with OU in the past and it put me off. But hey win me back over...

Thanks

blue166

Waiting For Fault Ref: F002863871. - High Utilisation To Be Fixed !!
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Questions about DOCSIS 3.1 and Over Utilisation...

Can I find out when my area will be DOCSIS 3.1 ready?

Probably no, VM don't normally announce this in advance, although there have been exceptions.  Even where they have, it's been quite generic and may not apply to all segments within the named area.

Also I read somewhere that even on the 500mb service you can request a HUB4 due to issues with HUB3

Categorically no.  

and also if your area is prone to Over utilisation. Is that true?

If you are in an over-utilised area you'll be invited to "upgrade" to one when the area has gone live with D3.1.  You can't proactively request one - or rather you can, but the company will say "no".

Can you just request HUB4 anyways for more channels to connect to for more bandwidth? 

No.

Also what does DOCSIS 3.1 do for an area that has been crippled by over utilisation in the past/present?

D3.1 uses a mix of DOCSIS 3.0 channels and a DOCSIS 3.1 channel that operates at far higher modulation rate.  This spreads the load, and previous times when the company did similar (eg from Superhub 2 to Hub 3) this did work.  But I suspect it isn't an immediate panacea, and probably requires some critical proportion of customers on a congested segment to be using a Hub 4.

Also what does VM do to ensure local connections do not suffer from over utilisation these days? I had serious issues with OU in the past and it put me off. 

Nothing.  They'll keep selling new packages and upgrades in already congested areas.

You should also be aware there a range of teething problems for the Hub 4 that range from basic carelessness to weirdly esoteric and not understood.  It will probably be a basically competent product in a couple of years time, just as the Hub 3 took thirty odd months to get right, but you'll still need to provide your onw router or mesh wifi, because the Hub 4's wifi seems as weak as the Hub 3 from customer comment in these forums. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@blue166 wrote:

The main benefit of DOCSIS 3.1 is a new type of algorithms to do forward error correction and to be able to squeeze more bits into the existing spectrum. So, just turning on 3.1 on your HFC network increases bandwidth in both directions.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Blue166.

How are your services since your post?

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos