cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchased Gig1 but download speed in only 30-40Mbps.

momo77735
Tuning in

Hi there, 

I've purchased Gig1 and the HUB 4 kit arrived on 30/04/2021. Since then my speeds have been extremely slow.

• I used the cables that came with the kit as well as different cables. Tried both the HUB 4 on it's own and with our existing routers plugged in. No difference. 
  • Multiple desktops with ethernet. Main PC has 2.5G Ethernet port. They also have wifi 5/6. 
  • Ipad pro 11, iphone 12, Dell latitude 5290 on Wifi right next to the HUB 4. 

All these devices are consistently slow so I think it's reasonable to believe that it is not device related or a problem with cables. 

I've posted a few Samknows screens below. In some cases it shows 300-400 Mbps to the Hub although I have never had this speed on any of my devices so I'm not sure how to interpret that. Speeds are usually around 30-40Mbps. Sometimes speedtest bursts to 160 Mbps for a few seconds but no where near the 400Mbps seen on the hub4 according to samknows. 

Screens and Network status below if it helps. Any ideas will be welcome. 

NTS1.PNGNTS2.PNGNTS3.PNG

speedtest 1.0.52021.pngspeedtest 1.05.2021 2.pngspeedtest 1.05.2021 3.pngspeedtest 1.05.2021 4.png

speedtest 1.05.2021 6.PNGspeedtest 1.05.2021 5.PNG

11 REPLIES 11

momo77735
Tuning in

ignore: double post

You have some serious power level concerns, all the downstream levels are extremely low

Surprised it's working at all, are all the cables tight etc?

Virgin BB 55MB, Hub 3, Tenda Router, Stream Box - United Artists/Telewest/VM Since 1990

Thanks for responding. Yes all the cables are tight. Screwed them in & even tried different cables.

What range would be acceptable for the power levels ? 

Downstream is -6 to +10

Yours are way way way to low.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

is this a new install - thats not clear from your opening post - if you had a working line before then something has gone badly wrong - if its a new [quick] install then again something has gone wrong from what must have been a working line at sometime

as well as low power levels you have snr problems on the downstream - you can post the upstream figures for reference if you want

new or old install you need a tech to sort that - wait for VM to get to the thread they will book one

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks for the response. 

It's a pretty old line, the wall socket still says 'Cable & Wireless on it'. I had VM back in 2012 but suffered frequent outages so I'm guessing the line wasn't that great back then either. I used a quickstart kit that arrived on Friday. 

I've posted my upstream below. Hopefully VM can get an engineer out here soon. 

upst.PNG

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi momo77735,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the Community Forum! I'm sorry that you're having some issues with your broadband.

I've been able to locate your account using your Forum details, and I can see that there are some issues showing from our end. I've booked you an engineer visit so that we can get this resolved for you. You can check the details of this appointment on your MyVM page.

Please let me know if you need any more help with this.

Thanks,
Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

Thank you for that. The engineer came round on Tuesday (4th May) and did something to the cables outside of my house. I had Gig1 speeds up until Satuday (8th May) in morning but now the speed maxes to around 160Mbps if I am lucky. Sometimes it slows down to 50-60 Mbps now. 

I've used different devices, both wifi and ethernet, both router and modem mode and I've reset the router. No change. When I go to 192.168.0.01 the Hub4 status internet says 'No RF' in red. This is only when it disconnects.

I did the think broadband quality monitor and I appear to have frequent spikes. Pictures below. 

VM 4.05.2021.PNGvm08.05.2021.PNGvm 09.05.2021.PNG

For reference this is my previous line with BT on the same date as the last picture above. 

BT 09.05.2021.PNG

I am posting my network status below. From what I can see the power and SNR seems to be fine so I'm not sure what the problem is now. 

downstream 1.PNGdownstream2.PNGdownstream3.PNGupstream1.PNG

Does anyone have any ideas ? 

Well, the good news is your levels are now within spec and looking good.

The bad news is you are fully connected to virgins network.

The massive latency spikes are something I have too on my 1gig line.

It's not it's normal or good.

I have been trying for months to get mine fixed.

IF over utilization is the issue it may take months/years to get fixed.

In a nut shell, too many people are connected in your area because virgin oversold.

Either that or there is some sort of noise on the line, that may also take months to find and fix.

If you are still within 14 days and there are other providers available, I would run while you still can.