cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems With New 1GB Connection

Aleesy1995
Joining in

I got the 1gb connection from virgin media yesterday and my speed to my pc keeps dropping below 100mb but if I reset the router and fibre plug the speed goes back to normal then it happens again in a few hours. I read on another thread that this is a bug with the router and virgin media are investigating this. Is this true? Many thanks. I just don't see why I should pay for 1gb if its not stable and dosent stay at the minimum guarenteed speed wich is 565mb

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Not any "bug" I am aware of being reported before.... See this
_______

Firstly... can we check… are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Not any "bug" I am aware of being reported before.... See this
_______

Firstly... can we check… are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I actually figured it out last night. Basically after a while id run a speed test on my pc and it would be below 100mb so I was looking online for solutions and lone behold its a really simple windows 10 setting in the lan adapter settings. Its called energy efficient ethernet. Turned that off and hey presto im getting full speed all the time on the pc now with no problems. It was also throttling steams download speed but since I've changed that setting its all ok now.

So for anyone that wants to change that setting thats having the same problems as me in windows 10 search for device manager in the start menu search bar find your lan adapter under network adapters. Right click and press properties go the advanced tab click energy efficient ethernet and turn it off. Hope this helps other people. I saw this on another thread after hours of research 🙂

Also forgot to mention I have a cat5e cable I made up connected from the pc straight to the hub