Menu
JanW1
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Price increase & Poor upload speed

I have been with Virgin since before it was Virgin (when it was Telewest), so you can't say i'm not a loyal long standing customer.

The download speeds i get i cannot complain about, they are usually pretty good...there have been a couple of FREE SPEED BOOSTS but not long after them there is always a price increase, so these speed boosts are really not free, just given to justify the price increase yet to come.

These speed boosts are always to the download speed...never has there been a speed boost to the upload speed which i must say is pretty shabby compared to some providers out there (i only get aprox 6mbps upload speed).

And yesterday came the latest in price increases...they don't want just £1, or £2, not even £3 more a month...they are asking for £4.01 a month extra which i assume is to cover the last FREE speed boost on my download speeds.

This is going to take my monthly internet bill to £41.24 a month...this is outrageous!

And WHEN do we see and INCREASE in our UPLOAD speeds for all this money i (and thousands of others) are paying?

Smiley MadSmiley SadSmiley Frustrated

Not happy about this huge increase in monthly payments or the lack of increase in upload speeds at all.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Price increase & Poor upload speed

It would appear there is currently a program to upgrade upload speeds. My 200Mb product has certainly had its upload increased from 12Mb to 20Mb.

Perhaps the 100Mb product will be upgraded to 10Mb at some stage.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
JanW1
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ernie_C

Well 6 to 10mb would be a nice start but if you've gone from 12 to 20mb maybe 6 to at least 12mb would be good for the 100mb product, especially with the extra £4 a month i'm gonna be paying.

Thanks for responding though, hope there are plans to upgrade the upload speeds for all of us...fingers crossed 🤞🏼

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@JanW1 wrote:

Hi Ernie_C

Well 6 to 10mb would be a nice start but if you've gone from 12 to 20mb maybe 6 to at least 12mb would be good for the 100mb product, especially with the extra £4 a month i'm gonna be paying.

Thanks for responding though, hope there are plans to upgrade the upload speeds for all of us...fingers crossed 🤞🏼

Harsh reality check - although not intended to cause offence.

Okay unfortunately in this day and age loyalty is for losers - loyalty is NOT regarded by ANY company - it really isn't - you need to put some effort in to re negotiate OR look around - you have 30 days to inform of leaving to avoid being charged to leave. 

Upload is 10% on his product so might be on all the others too no one knows yet. 

You can't sit on your lorals and then complain that nothing is being done for you - VM won't do anything for you unless you request it - after all in customers who never call but just take the price rises they have a golden goose. 

Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi JanW1,

If you want a lower price and better upload speeds, then next time you're out of contract, when you phone up and haggle for a discount (I assume everybody does this), they'll almost always be happier offering a discount if you take a higher speed or a bigger package.  Admittedly you'll need to repeat the haggling when the discount runs out - typically eighteen months,  If you're on 50 or 100 connection or a legacy Telewest speed (such as 60, 70, or 150) then by taking a 200 Mbps connection you'll get the upload increased to 20 Mbps upload speed.

Even if you've already haggled a discount and are under contract, it is still worth phoning up the package upgrade team and seeing if they can sort something out for you that keeps your current discount and applies it to whatever upgrade offer they can make.

Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You say that £41.24 a month is outrageous but is it any better elsewhere? BT will sell me Superfast Fibre 2 (56-72Mbps down, 17-18Mbps up) for £39.99 on an 18 month contract, and BT TV isn't as good as VM's TV.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I was paying £41 for 350 last year! The only thing to beat VM right now for value on internet, if you can get it is Vodafone 5G which is £50 a month for unlimited with 150-200mbps promised and up to 1Gbps both ways - If VM are not on GB speeds come November I will be jumping over to Voda. I went on it this morning in Cardiff and holy hell! For a mifi it was brutal!
0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

happywithmy350: "If VM are not on GB speeds come November I will be jumping over to Voda."

Tongue in cheek, please don't see these questions as rude, but merely polite interest:

1) What will you be doing to tax either a Voda or VermoMedia gigabit connection?

2) Since 4G bandwidth is limited, and falls as traffic levels rise, so will your connection speed.  So why is Voda's "maybe up to, sometimes a trivial fraction of" gigabit offer more attractive than an almost certain 350 or 500 from VM?

3) A more pressing matter - shouldn't you now change your user name to nolongerhappywithamere350?

0 Kudos
JanW1
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I’m supposed to get 100mbps download and at least 6mbps upload, on a recent speed test i din’t even get 50mbps download let alone 100!

This 5G you mentioned with Voda, it’s just a mobile network, can’t get it yet though.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Do you know that your equipment/cdevice/cables are capable of delivering the download speed you are paying for? You are getting the correct upload for that package. As said - if you dont like it - negotiate for a better deal.

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, you need to do it this way first.

Make sure your device has a gigabit network card (not a 10/100 one or “limited to that) and has the up to date drivers. A 10/100 connection will probably max out well below 100 - particularly if you are using an old Cat5 cable or wifi. Use a new Cat6 ethernet cable (old ones do "go off" and Cat6 is best) to connect it directly to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Check speeds like that first.
If they are still low - then, boot up your device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds). Run the tests at speedtest.net (try on x2 VM servers) on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, Safari etc - there are several reports on here of certain browsers causing speed issues).
Try that and report back what you get.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos