cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powerline adapters and ethernet cable type compatible with Hub 3.0

kschawla
Tuning in

Hi, 

Now that I have got Virgin's 100Mbps internet (Hub 3.0 router),  I am looking to enhance the connectivity around the house (mainly upstairs where the internet is a bit weak when I am on zoom calls).

I found that powerline ethernet adapters are a good solution. I don't want too many cables and holes around the house. Could someone please recommend/suggest what shall I go for, (compatible with Virgin Media's Hub 3.0)

1. Ethernet cables For e.g. Cat 8 or 7 
  2. Powerline adapters  - which make and models?

Thanks,

K

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A few comments about powerline's from an older post of mine are below. The Devolo ones are probably the "best" ones you can get but do tend to be expensive - for the same money you could get a good mesh system. Other powerlnes for less £ than the Devolo's may wll suffice.

Have a search and see what best matches your needs.

You need 2 powerline adapters.  One connected to the Hub by short cable and the other in the room connected to the devices by short cable(s).  Use Cat6a ethernet cables to do the connections.

Get ones with 2 ethernet ports and you can plug a Wireless Access Point into one port - or get powerlines with built in wifi - but check the specs. I would also get the highest rated "speeds" you can afford.  Netgear do an AC2000 one as well as an AC1200 or 1000 - which should be good enough (mine are 1200's).  Also, "passthrough" power sockets are very useful to have.  Also decide whether you want the ethernet port(s) on the top or bottom of the units (they supply both) so you dont get stymied by skirting boards etc.

Note - dont plug them into extension cable boxes as that stuffs them (hence passthrough" is good) and your electrical circuits must at least go through the same consumer unit (fuse box) - noise on the circuitry can also be a problem but you wont know that until you try them - or have the circuit(s) tested.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Richw1982
Rising star

The TP-Link Deco range are quite a good low price mesh system

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

Thank you for your quick response. If I go ahead with Cat 8 cables is that ok? 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Cat8 cables are overkill. Cat6 will be cheaper and jut as good on the 100mbps package.

But what do you actually want upstairs? Improved wifi ? Ethernet connectivity ? Both?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John, It will be both ethernet and wifi. For multiple devices. 

I've used the Devolo powerline adapters in the past which are pretty good, as for Ethernet cables Cat 5e would suffice and is good up to 1gb 🙂

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A few comments about powerline's from an older post of mine are below. The Devolo ones are probably the "best" ones you can get but do tend to be expensive - for the same money you could get a good mesh system. Other powerlnes for less £ than the Devolo's may wll suffice.

Have a search and see what best matches your needs.

You need 2 powerline adapters.  One connected to the Hub by short cable and the other in the room connected to the devices by short cable(s).  Use Cat6a ethernet cables to do the connections.

Get ones with 2 ethernet ports and you can plug a Wireless Access Point into one port - or get powerlines with built in wifi - but check the specs. I would also get the highest rated "speeds" you can afford.  Netgear do an AC2000 one as well as an AC1200 or 1000 - which should be good enough (mine are 1200's).  Also, "passthrough" power sockets are very useful to have.  Also decide whether you want the ethernet port(s) on the top or bottom of the units (they supply both) so you dont get stymied by skirting boards etc.

Note - dont plug them into extension cable boxes as that stuffs them (hence passthrough" is good) and your electrical circuits must at least go through the same consumer unit (fuse box) - noise on the circuitry can also be a problem but you wont know that until you try them - or have the circuit(s) tested.

--------------------
John
--------------------

kschawla
Tuning in

Thank you all for your great, quick response. 🙂