cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor wifi connection upstairs

Lb87
Tuning in

Fiber broadband installed in November. Speed/connection upstairs is terrible. I cannot use zoom without it freezing every couple of seconds/minutes. I'm constantly checking speed and it is frequently as low as 0.something or 4.something.

The hub was deliberately position in the middle of the house to improve on previous connections but it hasn't helped at all. The engineer at the time said he could come out if it wasnt any better or he could provide a booster box but I can't access either of these.

I've used the VM connect app to check the rooms upstairs and it's feedback was "great", which isnt true because I cant use my laptop in those rooms for video calls and the connection is generally v slow. I'm consequently not offered any options on the app such as a booster.

I live in a two story terraced house and the box is in the centre of downstairs. There is no way to plug directly into the hub from the room upstairs.

Its causing me so much stress particularly as I cannot get hold of anyone at virgin media to help me. Its affecting my already severe mental health problems.

The response I had from VM on twitter was that they cannot guarantee wifi speed. I get that maybe it would drop from 100mb but to the point where I cant do my job is ridiculous!

Please can anyone help?

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Just come back here and we can talk to through it. You can buy the likes of an Asus like the one here, or you can go for the TP link Deco M4 which isn't wifi 6 but would give you great coverage, I'm not sure how they work but there are guys on here that will talk you though setup no problem. Just do the research and get what suits you best.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

conman33158
Super solver

You would probably be better of investing in a decent third party router, that way you can put the Virgin Hub into modem mode and let the router deal with all the traffic. This would give you better wi-fi coverage and if you go for the likes of a wi-fi 6 capable router you would get better speeds. There are loads of options from Asus, TP Link etc and seeing as the VM Hubs are well known for their lack of wi-fi capabilities you would be better of using your own equipment, especially if you are suffering from poor wi-fi coverage and speed. I know it's a case of having to spend money that you shouldn't have to, but it really is worth it and gives you a better all round stable internet experience 🙂

BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup

Hi, thank you for replying.

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea what this means in reality or how to do it.

Can you expand in more simpler terms?

Btw I have a hub 3.

Many thanks.

Basically you buy your own router and attach it to the Hub 3 after putting the Hub 3 in modem mode. Wifi 6 capable routers are best for speeds. Sorry I can't make it any more simplified 🙂

Ok thank you I will have a look on google. How do you put the VM box into modem mode and connect to a new router (if I bought one)? 

Thank you.

Just come back here and we can talk to through it. You can buy the likes of an Asus like the one here, or you can go for the TP link Deco M4 which isn't wifi 6 but would give you great coverage, I'm not sure how they work but there are guys on here that will talk you though setup no problem. Just do the research and get what suits you best.

Thanks again. Those are way waaay above budget. I can't afford that, particularly when I'm in a rented house an might not need it long term. 

I hope virgin media will respond and at least send me a booster to see if it helps. 

Thank you though, I appreciate your response.

The boosters might give to a better coverage but not the best of speeds but I think they charge you monthly for boosters and are only free if you are on the highest package, maybe someone else can clarify as I'm not sure on the procedure of even getting them. The options I posted would be middle of the road prices so to speak as there are cheaper options and more expensive options, but just be careful of the cheap options as they tend to promise you the world and end up with very poor performance.