Menu
gregg
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Poor speed in the evening

Hi,

I am subscribed to a 150mb broadband service, but I hardly ever see those speeds.  Evenings are the worst, speed tests over ethernet often hover around 10 - 20mb.

I am aware of the issues around over utilisation of certain areas, but I am not sure whether I am in one of those areas?  Postcode is SG7.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor speed in the evening

Hi gregg,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the slow speeds you're experiencing, I know it can be frustrating.

I've taken a look into this for you and I can see there's a fault in your area under ref: F004833499 which is due for review on the 26th April. This fault is responsible for causing slow speeds, especially during peak time hours.

Apologies again for this,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
gregg
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather,

Can you let me know what the outcome of the fault review was please?

We are now 3 months on from the review date and we still have poor broadband speeds.

Tonight a speed test shows we have a down speed of a mere 2.5mbs - this just isn't acceptable.

Regards

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hey Gregg,

Thanks for keeping in touch Smiley Happy

I appreciate your frustration. We're still working in your area and we're reviewing the fault again on the 13th Sept.

Please accept my apologies and thanks for your continued patience.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
logiclee
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

gregg wrote:

Hi Heather,

Can you let me know what the outcome of the fault review was please?

We are now 3 months on from the review date and we still have poor broadband speeds.

Tonight a speed test shows we have a down speed of a mere 2.5mbs - this just isn't acceptable.

Regards

I hope you have better look than Area 30. We have had similar speeds and have gone by two "Review" dates with no improvement and the next "Review" date is Jan 2018.

After being down to 1.14Mbps this weekend I rang up and cancelled.

Lee

0 Kudos
vircom
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The recently announced price increase will give you the opportunity to cancel without penalty or argument.
0 Kudos
gregg
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I never thought I'd be posting this, but it looks like the contention fault has been fixed in the Baldock, Herts area.

Last Wednesday at around 12pm we had a complete network outage (no broadband, TV or phone). This lasted for around 24 hours. Since it has been back on, I have performed numerous speed tests which have returned results between 150 - 165 mb down, during thursday, friday and saturday evenings. Previously my down speeds were always anywhere between 5mb and 30mb during these times.

Clearly this is great news but can't help but wonder whether it will last. I had already signed up to BT broadband recently because I was so fed up with the VM service - engineer due to install a new line soon.

I think I will still jump ship to BT as I just dont trust that the VM broadband will maintain this quality. Would be interested to know if anybody else in my area has noticed a speed improvement though?
0 Kudos