cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor mbps

CZESDM
Joining in

My apparent 350mbps ultra fast has not been so fast for the last few months and I’m seeing regular drop out. Speed tested multiple times with the Speedtest.net in the same location, clearly it was in the +300 but now I’m lucky to see 60mbps (see picture). Not impressed. How can it be fixed, and maintained. How do I get a refund for the previous 2 months for the service I’m paying for not being provided? 

485216DE-3898-4FEF-BEBE-8CA56298E6F2.png

4 REPLIES 4

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The service you are paying for is the speed to the Hub, which you can only measure with a suitable device wired to the Hub with an ethernet cable.  What speed to you get measured that way?

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Yes, the test should be via LAN connection, however the service has always been measured via WiFi and for the first 2 months found to be +300mbps as per my contract. The hub has not moved, each time the test has been taken is within the same room within 2 metres of the hub. Now it’s at 70mpbs. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You still don't know whether the fault is in the broadband feed or the Hub's WiFi. 

Measure it on ethernet.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.

If you're using a tablet or phone then copy and pasting as text may well be tricky, but do try.  If you use screenshots some will be blocked as they show personal data (the forum software strips this out of text), you'd need loads of screenshots to show all the data, added to which legibility is often very poor when posted.

Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.