Over the last week, we've been experiencing connection issues with our Wi-Fi. Some have been attributed to service issues, but there are multiple times of day where the connection either cuts out or is far slower than the advertised speed(we're on the M200 package). It's especially bad currently because our household is comprised of university students and the connection is so poor that we cannot consistently stay connected to the Teams/Collaborate calls that our lectures and seminars are held through. We have tried to find whether there are blackspots in the house, but the connection was similarly poor on each floor. Would appreciate a swift fix/advice on what to do, as we've tried everything shy of getting a booster in and we're doubtful that a booster would fix intermittent connection throughout the house.
Wireless speeds from VM are not guaranteed what type of speed do you get when connected to the hub directly with a Cat 5e cable or better ? Wireless speeds can vary depending on quite a lot of variables and interference. Check https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds where it states "The actual speed of your service may vary, but for new customers and existing customers who change their broadband services on or after 28th February 2019, we now provide a minimum download speed guarantee to your Virgin Media Hub. This is 50% of the advertised speed for your broadband service on the date you placed your order."
There is one thing to try -
Login into the hub at http://192.168.0.1 using the details from the base of the hub on a sticker.
When in goto "Advanced Settings", "Wireless", then "Wireless Signal", place a tick in circle where it says "Disable Channel Optimization" and then click on "Apply Changes".
We tried testing the speed with and without the Cat 6 cable both with channel optimisation enabled and disabled. Without the cable we were getting around 50mbps download on our M200 package. With the cable it increased but was still around only 90mbps which is well below the 200mbps speed we should be getting. The channel optimisation setting did not seem to make too much of a difference. Please let me know if you have any other ideas as to what may be going wrong.