cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor connection speed and download speed

Biggsy68
Joining in

Noticed over the last couple of days that I am getting poor connection and download speeds. I am currently on the M500 package but after running speed tests I am only getting on average around 88Mbps, which is obviously a problem. It doesn't matter what time of day I run the speed test because the result is the same. I have already rebooted the Hub 3 and that did not fix it.

Anyone any idea what is causing this or do I need to contact Virgin.

Many thanks.

14 REPLIES 14

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If speed is<100 on the desktop then most likely, either the ethernet cable is faulty - try a New solid core Cat6 one and a different port on the Hub

Or your Network card (is... or) has dropped to 10/100 - check in the settings and look - it ought to be set to 1GB. Make sure the drivers are up to date

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I have just looked in device manager under network settings and according to the screenshot there is no ethernet connection. Is this correct? It seems very odd that it's not showing.

device manager.jpg

I have found the ethernet adapter in windows but it is only showing as 100Mbps.

ethernet.jpg

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thats your issue then 🙂

Have you tried a new cable - if that is borked it could drop connection down to 100

I cant help any further as I have never used Windoze - Macs only 🙂

But are you using an ethernet adapter and not an inbuilt wifi card? If so, is it actually specced as a 1GB connector - or just 10/100? Cheap enough to swap to a new GB one though.

If inbuilt... check drivers are up to date or someone else will suggest something

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

It is a Gigabit card and all drivers are up to date. Only last week everything was working perfectly and I only noticed it because I was getting slow download speeds on Steam whereas before they used to fly.