Did you mean: 

Poor WiFi speed with Hub3

Beez1092
Tuning in

673E662A-EC4E-44AF-A40D-5F4C0F2B222F.png

03D8B449-58C0-463D-8933-5907B76CB84A.png

7ACD162D-FC12-42DD-B9B1-0136D0BBD253.jpeg

Hi, 

I’ve been advised to make a post on here after reaching out on Twitter about my poor WiFi speeds. 

I am currently on a 350mb package and get this if not more when wired but currently I’m barely making the 10’s when connecting wirelessly. I use a WiFi range extender upstairs as the signal is poor anyway, but even with that it’s still snail pace, without the extender i can’t even complete a speed test.

I will attach a couple of Speedtest screenshots from my phone (using WiFi) and from my wired desktop. The first image is upstairs using the extender, second is sat next to the hub, third is wired pc. 

I have tried resetting the hub and I did a full factory reset tonight and it doesn’t seem to have made a difference. 

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you! 

13 REPLIES 13

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to 1GB or Ultimate Ooomph package customers but others will be charged £5/month.  If they are free to you then they are a simple solution that ought to sort it and so worth trying first

But if not, then at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution than that in the VM Hub, and that will be yours to own and will cure all your wifi problems.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@Beez1092  Have the wifi speeds always been so poor with this hub?

Hi, 

Thanks so much for this, I will attempt the SSID splitting and see if that improves things at all. 

If it doesn’t, are there any routers/hubs you’d recommend? I don’t think I’d be interested in paying extra to VM for the ‘pods’ as I am already paying quite a lot for this package and not getting what I expect from it. 

Thanks a lot again for your help! 

They’ve never been great but do seem to be getting worse as of late. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Beez1092 wrote:

Hi, 

Thanks so much for this, I will attempt the SSID splitting and see if that improves things at all. 

If it doesn’t, are there any routers/hubs you’d recommend? I don’t think I’d be interested in paying extra to VM for the ‘pods’ as I am already paying quite a lot for this package and not getting what I expect from it. 

If you decide to go that route you will get a lot of help and advice on here. 

As a starter....  It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£40-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but spending ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system with WiFi6 (may cost a bit more).

You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion.

Lets us know.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Beez1092

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making your first post regarding your WiFi speed issue. Sorry to see you are experiencing sluggish WiFi speeds, I understand how frustrating this must be - especially when your wired connection looks to be great!

May I ask how many wireless devices you have connected to your Hub?

Also, are any of these devices located close to the Hub?

How did you get on with the SSID splitting as @jbrennand recommended - have things improved since then?

Kind regards,

Serena

Yumeuz
On our wavelength

I’m having exactly the same issues on the 350 service via a Hub3: 350mbps+ via wired but struggling to get 10mbps on WiFi. 

I have split the 2.4 and 5Ghz frequencies with different names etc. and switched off the ‘Smart WiFi’ - with no improvement. Interestingly, 5Ghz speeds are 7-10mpbs but 2.4Ghz speeds are < 2mbps. 

Probably a simple explanation and fix so will follow this thread to see if there are any answers. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Yumeuz wrote:

I’m having exactly the same issues on the 350 service via a Hub3: 350mbps+ via wired but struggling to get 10mbps on WiFi.  <snip> 

As you are getting the 350+ wired, your circuit is performing as it should.

To improve WiFi it's up to you to survey your property with a WiFi analyser, of which there are many on the Google Play store.  Once you have completed this you should know where the dead spots are and be in a position to fix it.  Either a Mesh system, or Access points should work.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Beez1092
Tuning in

Thanks for all your replies! 

After trying a few things and losing patience with the hub3 I’ve gone for a new router and am running the virgin hub3 in modem mode. 

Our WiFi signal is much better all over the house.