cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor WIFI performance with Hub 4

Diamondman
Tuning in

Recently upgraded to 1 GB service and was sent Hub 4 to replace my Hub 3 which was on the 500MB service.

I can see approx 1GB download speed via a cable connection to my laptop, however WIFI performance is poor either using the Hub4's own WIFI or by using my ASUS AC2900 Mesh routers with the Hub 4 in modem mode.

The average I seem to get is 300MB stood next to the Router, on my Iphone 12 Pro using the  5 GHz network. Using the Hub 3 gave close to 500MB in exactly the same conditions and set up. 

Any suggestion of what to try?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Hub4 is only wifi5 - not wifi6.

As such it will never get much over ~500Mbps on a single device connection (its physics). Two devices might get ~450 each and three ~330 each - and so on.

To get the higher wifi speeds on a single device - you need to get your own wifi6 equipment

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

1 REPLY 1

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Hub4 is only wifi5 - not wifi6.

As such it will never get much over ~500Mbps on a single device connection (its physics). Two devices might get ~450 each and three ~330 each - and so on.

To get the higher wifi speeds on a single device - you need to get your own wifi6 equipment

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.