cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Broadband speed

JohnMorr
On our wavelength

Notice over a few days now that the internet & emails speed is slow and tested as max 20Mbps which is way down from previous speeds (100Mbps).  Nothing has changed in the house (previous similar post November 2020) which could affect the broadband speed.  Just on the point of renewing contract with Virgin Media.

Regards

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JohnMorr wrote:

Notice over a few days now that the internet & emails speed is slow <snip>

Try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small local faults are not listed on the VM status page.

Also post the power levels and network log.  Setup a BQM here www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment on your circuit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JohnMorr wrote:

Notice over a few days now that the internet & emails speed is slow <snip>

Try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small local faults are not listed on the VM status page.

Also post the power levels and network log.  Setup a BQM here www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment on your circuit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi JohnMorr

Thanks for your post 

I have checked a few things from here and its all looking okay 

Has the connection settled down since you last post 

Gareth_L

JohnMorr
On our wavelength

Hi Gareth.

Just checked to Speed - 25.45 & 22.49 Mbps using Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test.

Not toward nor near 100 Mbps?

Only my laptop is on!

Regards

John

@JohnMorr wrote:

Hi Gareth.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a8044888cf4740fa7bbba2b13a23649862...

Regards

John

BQM looks fine.

Have you tested on a wired device?

Not tonight as other thinks to do for week ahead.

BQM https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a8044888cf4740fa7bbba2b13a23649862... confirms Speed test. using 4G.

Regards

John

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @JohnMorr, thanks for your reply here in the community.

Unfortunately, we do not guarantee speeds via wifi as these are dependent on a lot of external factors (the device, the distance away from the router, the amount of devices you have online at one time etc).

Can you please report back once you've ran a speed test via an ethernet cable please?

Many thanks

Tom_W

JohnMorr
On our wavelength
Hi Tom.
I am looking to use a 5G connection next week ( as now using 4g and told that will be far superior).

I will check with the cable to.

Regards
John

JohnMorr
On our wavelength
I have upgraded the internet connection at my laptop and the speed is now close to the 100 Mps specified.

I have set up a new BQM -
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/1b9d5047eb452718fa2d4eb14ceea8854d...
Best regards
John