Menu
blackfive
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Poor Broadband Speed

I had good broadband speed until I moved and paying for 100mbps but only get on average 40mbps here. The distance from the cabinet to my house is only about 5 metres as it's very close. When they installed the connection they've put a Wideband Attenuator of 6dB on the back of the router so is this now slowing the speed? When the Engineer connected it he also could only get it to run at an average of 40mbps but said it should settle down and go to the 100mbps. It hasn't!

A couple of weeks after the new connection was put in the old router failed and it was replaced with the latest Hub3 but the speed has remained the same so not the router causing it.

Paying extra for a 10mbps connection when only averaging 40mbps seems to be ridiculous and now seriously considering dropping it to 50mbps as the current connection has proved I don't need 100mbps especially as only me on it. To add insult to injury I had Virgin contact me offering a package with greater speed. You've really got to be joking when the connection will only reach 40mbps!

Does anyone know if the speed would increase if I removed the Wideband Attenuator?

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor Broadband Speed

Is the device your using to test the speeds capable of speeds higher than 40?

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It make sense to put an attenuator on a connection that close to the Cab as the downstream power levels can be high due to the short length of coax.

Posting the stats would see if this is the attenuator is needed..

Navigate to the hub's GUI using http://192.168.0.1
Don't log in, click the Router Status button.
Copy \ Paste the Downstream, Upstream, and Network Logs.

Don't worry about the formatting, but do obscure personal information like your WAN IP address.

It would be useful to know how you are connected to the Hub, wired or wirelessly?

0 Kudos
blackfive
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@jb66 wrote:

Is the device your using to test the speeds capable of speeds higher than 40?

Yes as the same device I was using at the previous location and that was giving me an average of 98mbps so it can obviously go above 40mbps.

0 Kudos
blackfive
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@griffin wrote:

It make sense to put an attenuator on a connection that close to the Cab as the downstream power levels can be high due to the short length of coax.

Posting the stats would see if this is the attenuator is needed..

Navigate to the hub's GUI using http://192.168.0.1
Don't log in, click the Router Status button.
Copy \ Paste the Downstream, Upstream, and Network Logs.

Don't worry about the formatting, but do obscure personal information like your WAN IP address.

It would be useful to know how you are connected to the Hub, wired or wirelessly?

Sorry as I can't post them due to this forum telling me the highlighted post has errors. It's the WHOLE post!!!! ...and nothing wrong with it as just cut and pasted.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just click the post icon again it should work or split each set of stats into it's own post

0 Kudos
blackfive
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@griffin wrote:

Just click the post icon again it should work or split each set of stats into it's own post

Sorry as it still didn't work and not even when I split the log into three separate posts.

0 Kudos
blackfive
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@griffin wrote:

It appears that this forum will work if something is physically typed into it but not if there's anything cut and pasted into it. It shows that it's fine in the preview but as son as you post anything that has been cut and pasted it tells you there are errors and highlights the whole post. This is the same whether the reply is in Rich Text or HTML. Not very helpful at all for providing information.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I’ve seen a similar issue where what you are posting is the first thing in the post.

Try a line feed before you paste.

0 Kudos
blackfive
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Ernie_C wrote:

I’ve seen a similar issue where what you are posting is the first thing in the post.

Try a line feed before you paste.

Thanks Ernie for the suggestion but unfortunately a line feed didn't work either. Nor did two or three of them. The same issue as the while post was highlighted as an error.

0 Kudos